Skip to main content

VOICES (Continuation) by John Ovuson

continuation...
If you missed the previous post, click on this: VOICES Episode 1
 
SYNOPSIS
This is a short drama that portrays the life of an average couple; battling with the issue of trust viz-a-viz relationship survival. The drama shows Mr and Mrs Paul as they both listen to the voices in their heads which convinces them of the infidelity of the other. This threatens their marriage as they begin to have disputes. Little did they know that the voices in their heads weren’t so right after all.  

CHARACTERS:
Mr Paul – A business man, married to Mrs Paul.
Mrs Paul – A house wife, married to Mr Paul.
Gardner – A young man, hired to take care of the flowers in the surroundings of Mr Paul’s house.
Nnenna – The secretary working at Mr Paul’s company.
Tonia – Mr Paul’s elder sister.
V.O. – Voice Over; refers to the thoughts of the mentioned person.  

MR PAUL
Why don’t you complete my joy by getting your things out of my house!

MRS PAUL
I am not getting out... you know why? That’s because it not your house but OUR house!
Dhurr!

MR PAUL
I’ve told you before to stop saying that... I don’t like it!   

MRS PAUL
Dhurr.... I am not saying it for you to enjoy it.
So if you’re not finding it funny, then it means am achieving my goal.
Dhurr....
Am I getting on your nerves?
(Hisses)
Dhurr!

MR PAUL
Am going to rip that tongue off!
(He walks towards her with his fist fully charged; his hands instantly go cold as he realises that Tonia is with them)
Sister... when did you enter?

TONIA
When the fire was at a hundred degree.
The two of you... come sit with me.
(Mr and Mrs Paul seats at the left and right side of Tonia respectively, with embarrassment proving to be a pronounced make-up on their faces)
From the little knowledge I have, the both of you are the closest definition of perfect marriage... what is the situation that is so difficult, only a divorce can settle?



MR & MRS PAUL

(Pointing at each other)

She/He is cheating!

TONIA
One after the other....
(Turns to Mr Paul)
Brother I know you’re a gentleman; Ladies first.
(Turns to Mrs Paul)
You were saying...?

MRS PAUL
Last night, I sat at home waiting for your brother to come home; I was up till midnight... no call, no text, I called the office and I was told he left the office at 6 and his number was switched off.
I went as far as calling the police and they said there was no report of an accident in the last 12 hours.
It was after much pondering that I decided to check his text for the first time and lo and behold... a message from his secretary saying ‘I love you’.
(Mr Paul starts laughing)
There! You see, that’s my annoyance... he was laughing like its one big joke.
Tee, your brother has no respect for my feelings at all.

TONIA
(Turns to Mr Paul)
That’s not something to laugh about. Anyway, what do you have to say?

MR PAUL
(Clears throat... still smiling)
Well, I don’t have anything to say... I just have something to show you
(He brings out his phone and opens the text Mrs Paul was referring to)
That’s the text she is talking about. First of all, that’s an MTN call me sms... secondly, look at the sender of the message.
(He passes the phone to Tonia)
That’s Nnenna... the secretary my wife was talking about; now look at the number...
(Tonia takes a second look at the phone and starts laughing)
Now you see why I am laughing. She didn’t even hear me out...
All she did was dial a slap on my innocent cheek.

MRS PAUL
(Looking more surprised)
What’s so funny? Let me see the number...
(Tonia hands her the phone, she looks at it... still puzzled)
So... what about the number?
(Mrs Paul brings out her phone and dials the number)
Oh my God.... Honey I am so sorry.
I thought it was his secretary.... I didn’t know it was Tonia’s daughter
I am so so sorry
(She reduces herself to her knees in apology)
Tee... you’re a woman like me; you know how we react to things like this.
Am really sorry.

TONIA
Okay... Since we’re clear with that, I guess we’re good?

MR PAUL
No oh... we are so not done.
I wanted to apologise and explain what happened last night, so I decided to pull a surprise stunt... only for me to surprise myself in the process.
I overheard her telling the gardener of how good he is in bed. She even gave him some money... obviously for the job well done and started cuddling.
Imagine!!!

TONIA
(Looking stunned)
No way!!!

MRS PAUL
Tee... I and my husband are both guilty of the same crime. He equally didn’t want to hear me out. What actually happened is...

MR PAUL
(Interrupts)
What actually happened is that she has been cheating on me for as long as I don’t know. I was about to pull the CCTV coverage to see exactly how long.

TONIA
(Turns to Mr Paul)
Let her finish!

MRS PAUL
Actually, I think he should get the CCTV coverage to prove what he said about me and the gardener.
(Mr Paul rushes out to get the footage)

TONIA
(Turns to Mrs Paul and whispers to her)
If my brother doesn’t find that footage, you know you’re dead... right?

MRS PAUL
I know... let’s keep the suspense at the peak.
(Mr Paul comes in and slots the disc into the DVD)
Let’s see what we have.
(Mr Paul, Mrs Paul and Tonia seats like they are in the cinema, about to view a block buster)

ACT I, SCENE IV
(CUT SCENE: THE REPLAY)

MRS PAUL
(Walks around the surroundings and sees the gardener sitting on the veranda with tears matching down his cheek)
Young man, what is the problem?

GARDENER
(Halts the match past with his hands)
Nothing ma... Nothing at all
(Gets up and continues the gardening)

MRS PAUL
You say there is no problem but your facial expression tells me otherwise. Talk to me... a problem shared is half solved.

GARDENER
Its my mother... she’s got a kidney stone for a while. The doctors require about 2 million naira for treatment and half a million for deposit... where will I get such an amount?
Even if I ask for an advance, my salary for 6 months isn’t up to half of the deposit.

MRS PAUL
Hmm... You’re a strong man.

GARDENER
(Raises an eyebrow)
How do you mean?

MRS PAUL
So something as bad as this has been in your heart all this while, and you locked it up inside... all to yourself? That’s a kind of strength you know?

GARDENER
I’m sorry ma... I don’t know how to bug people with my problem. I just try to focus on my God.

MRS PAUL
In that case, allow God to use me to help your mother. Let
 me get you a cheque for the deposit, and then I’d talk to my husband for the rest... I am sure he’ll help.
Hold on...

GARDENER
(Excited)
Thank you ma, thank you so much ma, God will richly bless you ma.

MRS PAUL
Thank God.
(She goes into the house and returns with a cheque)
Here it is... hurry up and let them begin with the treatment.

GARDENER
Thanks a lot ma.
(He dashes out of the premises)

MRS PAUL
(Biting her fingers)
I hope his mother gets better... poor woman
Now I have to start rehearsing how to obtain forgiveness from my lovely husband.
(She starts acting)
Honey, am really sorry about hitting you yesterday... I really don’t know what came over me. I’m really sorry for over reacting. But what’s up with the text on your phone? I know there has to be a mix-up somewhere.
No... I’d call him sweet names while asking about the text, so that I don’t get him to flare up... let’s try that again.
(She undergoes her personal rehearsal over and over again until she sees the gardener coming in... she welcomes him into the house)
So how was it?

GARDENER
It was good... thank you

MRS PAUL
Hmm... You’re a strong man you know?

GARDENER
(Chuckles)
You’ve said that before

MRS PAUL
And I am saying it again.
(Dips her hand into her purse and brings out some money)
Here, you can take the day off... you need some rest after all that has happened.

GARDENER
Thank you very much ma.

ACT I, SCENE V
(THE QUENCHING)

TONIA
(Turns to Mr and Mrs Paul who are now looking embarrassed on realisation that they got it all wrong)
So who is cheating on who?
From what I see, I think you two got a lot of apologizing to do... as well as some clean up.
I’ve have to be on my way.
(She leaves the house smiling and shaking her head)

MR PAUL
Well... I am....

MRS PAUL
(Cuts in)
Let me say it first...
I am sorry for pushing you... I really don’t know what I was thinking.

MR PAUL
It’s alright... I was about to say I’m hungry.

MRS PAUL
You’re so crazy!

MR PAUL
Indeed.... I’m crazy in love with you.

MRS PAUL
(Giggles)
And that’s why I married you.
You wanted to surprise me with something... what’s that?

MR PAUL
I only said I wanted to surprise you... I didn’t say ‘surprise you with something’.

MRS PAUL
I know you very well... you have something for me!
You can deny all you like...
F-Y-I; I am already blushing.
(They both laugh as they go into the room)

THE END

Personal Note from Newton Paul 
 Assumption can make things go terribly wrong in a relationship. I believe its better we ask questions calmly and answer straight in order not to complicate issues. 
No one is perfect but we must work towards perfection personally, learn new ways of doing same old things for us to arrive at maturity.


  


Hello Friends, we believe you must have been enjoying your stay here. We need your support on the On-going Nigerian Blog Awards. 

We would please like you to kindly nominate our Blog www.majorpanedmajorfactor.blogspot.com  for "The best Writing blog, Faith based blog, and  Inspirational/motivational/personal development blog"


Scroll down to Number 2, 7, 12 and type majorpanedmajorfactor.blogspot.com in the text area provided. 
NB: Please don't forget to include your NAME and EMAIL address and also choose if you would want to be among the panelist.   
Please we will also appreciate it if you broadcast this to your friends. Votes ends February 1st. Thanks a lot!
Newton Paul's Blog

Comments

  1. Dope. I'll like to see this the visuals of this in the cinemas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot...
      We'll get there.
      Thanks again, God Bless!

      Delete
  2. Lol. This is funny and true is john ovusin a comedian or?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How far mr. Gardner? Hope him drink Panadol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...
      Na Panadol extra him take.
      Courtesy of Mr Paul

      Delete
  4. Lwkm. Dude should write a book

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahahaha....this aint just a writeup, its also a lesson.nice one dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this late. Everyone laughed before me I hope to be the first on the next post :) I think we have a male Linda ikeji. Newton paul's blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment can save a life...don't be selfish with it *winks*