Skip to main content

VOICES by John Ovuson



SYNOPSIS
This is a short drama that portrays the life of an average couple; battling with the issue of trust viz-a-viz relationship survival. The drama shows Mr and Mrs Paul as they both listen to the voices in their heads which convinces them of the infidelity of the other. This threatens their marriage as they begin to have disputes. Little did they know that the voices in their heads weren’t so right after all.  

CHARACTERS:
Mr Paul – A business man, married to Mrs Paul.
Mrs Paul – A house wife, married to Mr Paul.
Gardner – A young man, hired to take care of the flowers in the surroundings of Mr Paul’s house.
Nnenna – The secretary working at Mr Paul’s company.
Tonia – Mr Paul’s elder sister.
V.O. – Voice Over; refers to the thoughts of the mentioned person. 



ACT 1, SCENE 1
(THE FIRE)

MRS PAUL
(Perambulates around the house with her cell phone, looking at the time at intervals.)
Oh my God! It’s almost midnight... where is my husband?
I just hope he’s okay...
(Dials Mr. Paul’s number on her phone)

VOICE MACHINE:
The number you’re trying to call is currently switched off... please try again later or leave a voice mail after the beep...
(Phone beeps)

MRS PAUL
(Sobbing as she speaks into the phone)
Sweet heart, where are you? This is the eleventh time am calling you... you’re supposed to be home six hours ago... please call me and tell me you’re okay.
(Hangs up as she looks at the ceiling)
God, where is my husband? I’ve called the office and they said he left with the secretary by 5:30pm... I called the police and they said there was no report of robbery or accident. Even if he is walking home, he ought to have been home long before now. Where is he?

MRS PAUL (v.o)
Wait a sec... He left by 5:30pm with his secretary, and he told me that he had a meeting. What kind of meeting will keep him till midnight?
Hmm.....He must be doing something.
Oh my God... why didn’t I think of this?
He left with the secretary... probably to a hotel.
Infact, let him come back... am waiting for him.
But how do I prove it?
Yes! For starters, I’d look at his calls and texts.

MR PAUL
(Knocks on the door and enters, looking pale)
Sweetie...

MRS PAUL
(Cuts in)
Can I see your phone?

MR PAUL
Baby, you didn’t even say welcome...
(Mrs Paul snatches the phone from his hands and begins to punch the buttons...)
Wooo... you must be really pissed. Anyway, what happened was...

MRS PAUL
(Cuts in)
Am sorry dear.... but before you explain, what’s the name of your secretary again?

MR PAUL
It’s Nnenna... anyway as I was saying...

MRS PAUL
(Cuts in)
I knew it! You cheating bastard... how long have you been having an affair with your secretary?

MR PAUL
(Shocked)
Excuse me... where’s this coming from?

MRS PAUL
You think I won’t find out? Take a look at this...
(Shoves the phone screen to Mr Paul’s face)
Call me... I love you... from Nnenna!

MR PAUL
(Starts laughing)
Baby.... its...

MRS PAUL
(Shuts him up with a slap)
You’re even laughing.... idiot... nitwit... asshole...
(Continues ranting as the scene goes mute)

MR PAUL (v.o)
Damn this woman is crazy! When did she get this wild?
 She didn’t welcome me or even let me talk before she slapped me... I need to talk some sense into her head!

MR PAUL
(He holds her by her shoulders and raises his voice)
Woman, I work my ass off just to make us comfortable! The least you can do is to be nice and grateful!  

MRS PAUL (v.o)
This cheat just called me ungrateful... oh my God! What do I call him that will really get to him? Yes!

MRS PAUL
Shut up you lying cheating bastard!
I’d rather be on the street than be with a d**k like you!

MR PAUL (v.o)
That’s it! I have to remind her that I am the owner as well as the man of the house.
(Mr Paul returns the earlier delivered slap and walks to the room)

MRS PAUL
(Holding her cheek)
You slapped me? You prick!
Walk out like a coward that you are!
I hate you!
(Sits on the couch, crying)
(FADE OUT)
 ACT I SCENE II
(CONTROLLING THE FIRE)

The following day, Mr Paul is restless at the office... being remorseful regarding the unsettled spar with Mrs Paul.

MR PAUL
(Alone in the office; soliloquising)
Oh God... I went too far, I really lost it!
She has every right to be angry at me. Will she ever forgive me after I hit her?
Yes! I’m going to surprise her with her favourite chocolate and flower; then take her to the movies. That should wash away the grudge... I better get going!
(Picks up the phone and calls the secretary)
Cancel all my appointments for today. I have an urgent call to attend to.
(He dashes out of the office)

FADE OUT

ACT I SCENE III
(FUEL IN THE FIRE)

MR PAUL (v.o)
Wonderful! She’s at the backyard... an opportunity to show some ‘Mr Romantic skills’!
(Mr Paul ducks behind the couch in a bid to surprise Mrs Paul)

MRS PAUL
(Walks into the house with the gardener)
So how was it?

GARDENER
It was good... thank you.
(Mr Paul looking puzzled on hearing this)

MRS PAUL
Hmm... You’re a strong man you know?

GARDENER
(Chuckles)
You’ve said that before.

MRS PAUL
And I am saying it again...
(Dips her hand into her purse and brings out some money)
Here, you can take the day off... you need some rest after all that has happened.

MR PAUL (v.o)
Oh my God! So she has been having an affair with the gardener?
I work day and night to provide money, only for her lavish it on the gardener... the gardener... this woman doesn’t have taste!  
Only God knows how long it has been happening.
(ECHO: Gardener saying ‘You’ve said that before’... ‘before...’ ‘before...’)
Oh no! He’s probably good in bed, that’s why she acknowledged his strength....
(ECHO: Mrs Paul saying ‘you’re a strong man you know... am saying it again... again... again)
Under my roof!!!
(He takes a quick peep and sees Mrs Paul hugging the gardener)
Time to bring down the curtains!

MR PAUL
(Walks towards Mrs Paul, with his rage at the apex)
You whore!
Are you that hungry that you have to feed from the dump?

MRS PAUL
Excuse me?

MR PAUL
Are you answering my question with a question?
Anyway... excuse me!
(He pushes her away, leaving the gardener exposed to a taste of his wrath)
You... So the money I pay you isn’t enough and instead of you to ask for a raise like any sane human being would do, you decided to get it by servicing my wife... right?
You are so dead!
(Mr Paul administers a dose of his fist on the stunned face of the gardener)

MRS PAUL
(Yelling as she hurriedly stood between Mr Paul and the gardener)
Please... don’t hurt him... It’s not what you think!
(Mr Paul stops the fist administration for a second as she grabs his wrist…)
Run away... run as fast as you can!
(The gardener takes to his heels; she turns to Mr Paul and continues begging him to stop as the scene goes mute)

MR PAUL (v.o)
Her feeling for him is so deep that she threw herself in-between... knowing full that I could accidently hit her.
Paul... the optician said your eyes are working fine, how come you didn’t see this coming?
All the same... better late than never!
(Scene gradually un-mutes)

MRS PAUL
You should seriously consider going for anger management; your aggression is becoming bigger than you are!

MR PAUL
Thanks for the polite insult.
You want to know what I am considering?
 A divorce!

MRS PAUL
I was about to say the exact same thing!

MR PAUL
Am happy we have the same thought

MRS PAUL
Am happy you’re happy!

MR PAUL
Why don’t you complete my joy by getting your things out of my house!

MRS PAUL
I am not getting out... you know why? That’s because it not your house but OUR house!
Dhurr!

MR PAUL
I’ve told you before to stop saying that... I don’t like it!   

MRS PAUL
Dhurr.... I am not saying it for you to enjoy it.
So if you’re not finding it funny, then it means am achieving my goal.
Dhurr....
Am I getting on your nerves?
(Hisses)
Dhurr!

MR PAUL
Am going to rip that tongue off!
(He walks towards her with his fist fully charged; his hands instantly go cold as he realises that Tonia is with them)
Sister... when did you enter?

TONIA
When the fire was at a hundred degree.
The two of you... come sit with me.
(Mr and Mrs Paul seats at the left and right side of Tonia respectively, with embarrassment proving to be a pronounced make-up on their faces)
From the little knowledge I have, the both of you are the closest definition of perfect marriage... what is the situation that is so difficult, only a divorce can settle?...

...To be continued 

Comments

  1. awesomely written

    ReplyDelete
  2. This text is invaluable. Where can I find out
    more?

    Review my web page; CorrineWKisch

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment can save a life...don't be selfish with it *winks*