Skip to main content

Chinenye Anokwuru: The Cultural Encyclopedia


My search for extraordinary personnel brought me across a triumphant media personnel Chinenye Anokwuru who I caption “the Cultural Encyclopedia” because she speaks Hausa, Igbo, a bit of Yoruba and Yala (a tribe in Cross River State).

She hails from Imo state, Ahiazu-Mbaise LGA. Born in Sokoto, raised in Gusau Zamfara state where she did her Primary and Secondary school. She attended University of Sokoto where she defied the law of professional Journalism by graduating from the Department of Chemistry Education with an outstanding result.

She did her NYSC in Bayelsa state, currently working in AIT (Africa Independent Television) Abuja alongside bossing her own company Benzene media Ltd.

Snapshot of Chinenye Anokwuru on TV

What do you see as your place of purpose in life? How did you come to that conclusion?
My purpose in life is to uplift the less privileged and downtrodden. I came to the conclusion because that is what pulls at my soul every time.

Speaking on uplifting the less privileged, can you shed more light on that?
I use my media platform AIT to track humanitarianism by showcasing the plights of Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) who are victims of Boko Haram.
At a point in the newsroom they started calling me 'IDP' reporter. Others call me E.S i.e Executive Secretary of IDPs as an inside joke. Haha
I have been to Maiduguri, Yola, Bauchi, Mubi and many other communities where they host IDPs. I visit these camps to hear their stories. I work closely with the UN Refugee Agency in Nigeria, covering their activities particularly in the Northeast.
I also have the opportunity to interact with authorities of the United Nations seeking answers to some of the pressing questions faced by the average Nigerian.

Who are the three people you admire most?
Firstly, my mom because she is the strongest woman I know. May sound cliché but you’d have to meet her to understand. She is more like a living saint. That's the way I see her.

Secondly, myself because over time I have come to realize that only I can be my biggest cheerleader. Many people don't appreciate the efforts one puts into achieving insurmountable goals. So I admire my efforts, cheer myself on and spread the positive energy to others.

Thirdly, anyone who’s down to earth regardless of status grabs my admiration.

From your perception, is journalism transparently practiced?
I am a journalist. I would rather not throw shade at the profession but I can tell you that it's really tough for Nigerians journalists to stick to ethics and transparency considering there are diverse interests and journalists too need to survive. That's the much I can say.
 
Chinenye Anokwuru Interviewing United Nations Secretary General's Envoy on Youth
What are the requirements to be a professional journalist like you?
Well first off instead of proceeding to the Lab or a classroom I chose journalism.

It takes passion at first followed by creativity and then patience (Loads of it). You need time to ease into it, go for trainings, understudy someone with more experience, and rise through the ranks until you get to a point of stability. It's not a day's job especially if you aspire to be good at it.

How can young people achieve their dreams in this economic recession?
Young people have to be proactive, don't play around and wait for well packaged jobs. See opportunities in the face of recession. There are 170 million Nigerians, start a fish farm, poultry, laundry, something. They can also engage in the service industry like laundry, fumigation, videography. For those who have jobs, you need to put in 100% effort and dedication to avoid losing it.

Having my own company is part of how I as a young person try to stay above water in the recession, I don't believe in staying idle. I feel I have so much energy I can use to add value to the society, help myself and others grow.

What’s your Creativometer? (What type of materials or activities gives you deep inspiration?)
Hmm my Creativometer, I will say sleep and shower time. Those last few minutes before bed are crucial. They help me conceptualise my thoughts and get ready for my next activity. When I need to come up with something fresh I get into the shower. Haha

Wrap up
I believe her pool of wisdom, experience and expertise no doubt has convinced young entrepreneurs and parents out there that “a scientist can become a great artist and vise verse, what matters most is passion, creativity, patience and dedication”.

Becoming successful starts with you identifying the area you best function.

Chinenye Anokwuru is the CEO of Benzene edia Ltd, a media outfit that she started by following her experience and passion as a journalist. They offer movie production services, documentaries, jingles, campaigns and autobiography shoots among other things.

Contact Benzene Media Ltd via Benzenemediacoy@gmail.com










Follow us on 
Twitter: @Majorpane1
Facebook: Newton Paul's Blog
Instagram: @Major4pane
Got a suggestion for us?
E-mail: majorpanedmajorfactor@gmail.com


Comments