Skip to main content

THE VANTAGE OF NEXUS (EPISODE FOUR) By Newton Paul



 *This is the last post of this Drama Series, the complete edition will be published.
*This story was edited by John Ovuson

INTERCUT: Used to switch scenes usually when a call is taking place.
CONT’D: Continuation of the voice over or speech. INT: Interior (Sitting room, bedroom, car etc.)
EXT:  Exterior (Streets, outside the house etc.)

Click to download the soundtrack Rush into my arms

EPISODE FOUR: SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT
SCENE1

INT. BETTY’S LAWN - NOON
FADE IN

Kingsley parked at the side path close to Betty’s lawn. Betty gets down from Kingsley’s car upset, with her face squeezed like a cloth dumped for months.

KINGSLEY
(Clenches fist)
Betty… come back here right now!!!

BETTY
(Squint eyes)
I’m sick and tired of acting like your pet all the time!
You are no human; you treat everyone like a cheap trash.
Check out the way you splashed water on Gideon the other day, or the way you talk to my friends, even the way you talk to the waiter and now you slap my butt right in public.


KINGSLEY
Babe c’mon, lemme explain what I wanted doing…

BETTY
(Disappointed)
Explain what Kingsley?
You’re using me to brag?
Or you’re not man enough to carry your own self without me being beside you?

KINGSLEY
What are you feeling like?
I got my ego right on check; I got swag and everything in check too.
I don’t think there is any need begging you cos I’m tired of banging you.

BETTY
(Shocked)
What did you just say?

KINGSLEY
(Mean)
You heard me right; I didn’t choose to walk away in the first place.
My words got your attention, though I meant it.

BETTY
Kingsley… you know what?

KINGSLEY
I don’t want to know alright?
I’m out of here.

Kingsley turns to walk away, leaving Betty at her lawn, not speechless but placed on a spell of wanting to call Kingsley’s name; knowing fully well he is not listening.

SCENE 2
INT. BETTY’S BEDROOM – CONTINUOUS

Betty bursts into her room with a door slamming approach just as SWAT does but this time, in tears as a victim of heart break. No not just “heartbreak” I’d rather call it “heart quake”.
Betty; confused on what to do, soaks her pillow in tears as she drowns in the pool. She picks up her phone and sought for whom to share her grief with.

(PHONE RINGING)

BETTY
(Into Phone)
Hello!!!
What’s up?
(Pause)
Na I’m not okay.
(Pause)
I’m kinda sick.
(Pause)
Don’t really know what’s wrong.
(Pause)
Can you please come over?
(Pause)
Please it’s urgent I need you around; really need someone to talk to.

(BETTY ENDS CALL)

BETTY’S (v.o)
I just hope he gets here soon.
I can’t sleep tonight if this goes on.

(30 MINUTES LATER)

AMAKA
Sister Betty, there is a guy looking for you.
He said you asked him to come.

BETTY
Yes where is he?

AMAKA
He is at porch, I didn’t open for him, wanted to confirm from you.

BETTY
Okay I am coming, let him inside.

AMAKA
Are you okay? I mean is everything alright?
I don’t like how sober you’re looking; like you lost someone.
Mum didn’t put us in anguish, so I don’t expect you sad like we’re suffering.

BETTY
Don’t worry; when you grow up someday, you’d know how I feel.

AMAKA
Forget that thing… I’m already grown up.

BETTY
(Shouts)
I thought I asked you to do something right now?!

AMAKA
I just wonder the day we’d have a straight conversation without you yelling at me.

BETTY (v.o)
The day I’d beat this girl is coming real soon.
Okay lemme do my make over; don’t wanna look like a widow before him.

Betty gets dressed, looking very sharp and sexy as though she’s in a strip club even though she’s in her house. At this moment, if a guest comes in, he’d think he’s in a five star brothel cos Amaka is representing the playboy hood.

SCENE 3
INT. BETTY’S SITTING ROOM – CONTINUOUS

BETTY
I’m so happy you made it here Gideon

GIDEON
(Smiles)
It’s okay.

BETTY
Thanks a lot how have you been?

GIDEON
I’ve been great and perfect.
You didn’t sound so okay on the phone earlier; what was wrong?

BETTY
Well actually, it’s just some kind of girls’ ish.
Don’t worry… I am fine.

GIDEON (v.o)
No, not again.
I didn’t travel all the way to come hear the “I’m okay speech”.
Why in God’s name will she call me over?
She purposely dressed seductive.
Something is up and I better not fall this time.
(Turns to Betty)
I’m no kid.
I know the voice I heard over the phone.
Or you think I’m not man enough to handle it?

BETTY (v.o)
Oh shit where will I start from?
I don’t even know what pushed me to call him over.
Maybe I should open up.
(Turns to Gideon)
Well, I don’t think you’d be pleased to hear what I have to say but I see you as someone I can trust.
It’s about this guy, you know him. He keeps treating me like an object and that really offends me.

Gideon sits and watches how she explains her frustration over dating Kingsley.

BETTY CONT’D
...so I figured out you are a cool guy, like one of the nicest guy among my friends and I thought I should share my probs with you.

GIDEON
Okay this is really weird; never saw it coming.
By the way when was the last time I came here?

BETTY
Like hmm… 3months back; you visited January, few weeks after New Year.

GIDEON
Sharp memory of yours.

BETTY
(Smiles)
Yeah thanks dear.
Maybe that’s why they made me class prefect several times in secondary school.

GIDEON
That’s impressive.
Well, what do I have to say about you and your boyfriend?
No girl would like to be treated like a trash; but if you want it, you get it.
You need to be sure of what you want.

BETTY
I want a guy that would treat me nice, pamper me, call me up at night before I sleep and send me cute early morning messages just like you did back then.

GIDEON (v.o)
Did I just hear that?
Meaning I was almost winning then?
This is great news, but now…
(Turns to Betty)
Why didn’t you just say something then?

BETTY
I felt if I had opened up to you, you will take me for granted.
Right now my eyes are open and I feel it’s someone like you I deserve.

GIDEON
(Stammers)
Well hum you…
I… hum…
(GIDEON’S CELL PHONE RINGS)

GIDEON (v.o)
Oh shit! not now things are getting better.

(ANSWERS PHONE)

(Into phone)
Hey!!! Baby how are you?
I had to come see a friend….

BETTY (v.o)
What Gideon has a girlfriend now?
C’mon you dumb girl!!!
The word “baby” can be used for anyone these days…

GIDEON CONT’D
(Into phone)
…Yeah I didn’t plan staying long, but one talk to another…
(Pause)
It’s a guy of course, don’t worry I’d be with you sooner than you think okay
(Pause)
Love you, bye.

BETTY (v.o)
Okay that is his girlfriend.
Shit and I just opened up to him.
I should have kept my mouth shut.
(Turns to Gideon)
So I’m a boy now huh?

GIDEON
Well you know how you ladies protect your man from other ladies’ spell.
She is securing her investment and I’m ensuring she feels secured.

BETTY
Impressive!!!
I didn’t know you’d make a good lover.

GIDEON
Now you know.
 It’s not like anything could work between us.

BETTY
How sure are you?

Betty leaves her seat for the one beside Gideon.

BETTY CONT’D
(Softly)
What is your girlfriend’s name?

GIDEON
Stephanie.

BETTY
Well maybe I can borrow Steph’s boyfriend for a while to make me complete.

She takes his hands and leads him to her room.

SCENE 4
EXT. POOLSIDE BAR – NOON

Gideon and Steph went swimming. While at the poolside bar, Steph’s looks blows open the eyes of the seated males around as she sips her drink before Gideon who is just staring at his phone probably reading text messages he shared with Betty.

GIDEON
…so how has school been all this while?

STEPH
Well it’s been okay, just kinda lonely you know.

GIDEON
It’s good we could meet up today and at least talk about all we’ve missed out.

STEPH
You and your busy schedule in church and all that…

GIDEON
(Cuts in)
Baby I am here for you okay? I am not going anywhere.

(STEPH PHONE RINGS)

Steph looks at her phone and she sees its Lucas calling.

STEPH (v.o)
Shit shit shit!!!
Why is Lucas calling me now I’m with Gideon?
I just have to act cool so he won’t suspect anything.

(ANSWERS CALL)

STEPH CONT’D
(Into phone)
Hey sup?
(Pause)
I came for swimming with my boyfriend Gideon.
(Pause, Giggles)
I don’t know, maybe later tomorrow evening.
(Pause, Blushes)
Okay Bye.

(STEPH CUTS CALL)

GIDEON
Who called?

STPEH
Lucas.

GIDEON
You sure nothing is cooking up with him?

STEPH
(Frowns)
What is the meaning of that?

GIDEON
Cos I see the way you smile while you talk to him.
It’s been a while you gave me that kind of smile.

STEPH (v.o)
Jesus, my cover is almost blown.
I need to do something to cover up.

(GIDEON PHONE RINGS)

Gideon looks at his phone and he sees its Betty calling

GIDEON (v.o)
Shit, why is this chick calling me now?
If Steph hears me talk to Betty, she’d be pissed.
(Turns to Steph)
I got to pick this call; it’s my pastor’s secretary calling.

STEPH
Why can’t you answer the call here?

GIDEON
This place is a bit noisy, I told her I was sick today so I can steal time to be with you.
So I need to act real sick in a quiet place.

STEPH
Hmm...
Okay oh. when I excuse myself to start picking calls, don’t say anything oh… cos you started it first.

Gideon provokes over her words walks out with anger. As Gideon runs to a secluded place to speak to Betty, Steph picks up her phone to call Lucas back and apologise.

SCENE 5
INT. KINGSLEY’S APARTMENT - CONTINUOUS
(FEW MINUTES AGO)

Same time Gideon and Steph chilled at the poolside bar, Betty went to see Kingsley. Betty could not hold herself anymore for her body longs for Kingsley’s embrace.

BETTY
What is this white stuff on your nose?

KINGSLEY
It’s hmm… milk.

BETTY
Since when did you start sniffing milk?

KINGSLEY
I was hmm… drinking milk from a big cup so, some stained my nose.

BETTY
I thought it ought to be the upper lips or beards it stains, not the nose.
Kingsley, are you doing dru…

Before Betty could complete the word “drugs” Kingsley’s cell phone rings and its Speed calling.

(KINSLEY ANSWERS CALL)

KINGSLEY
(Into phone)
Yo… wadup speed?

SPEED (v.o)
(Over phone, filtered)
Not too good man did you get the coke?

KINGSLEY
(Into phone)
Yeah I got the shit… damn its good.
What’s the matter over there?

SPEED (v.o)
(Over phone, filtered)
My boss is mad at me.
I lost a race for the first time in my life, Goddammit!!!

KINGSLEY
(Into phone)
Shit that’s not good, who is the nigger.

SPEED (v.o)
(Over phone, filtered)
Some guy called Kelechi.
Amma break his legs soon enough, he won’t be able to enter a wheel chair.

KINGSLEY
(Into phone)
I trust you on that one.

SPEED (v.o)
(Over phone, filtered)
Don’t mean to spoil your day with my bad day hommie.

KINGSLEY
(Into phone)
It’s okay.
 Don’t just kill someone close to you, that’s all.

(KINGSLY DROPS CALL)

BETTY
You rolling with Speed?
Do you want to get yourself killed?

KINGSLEY
Betty this is none of your business. Let me just do my thing.

BETTY
You know how notorious that guy is, he has gone to prison how many times and he doesn’t want to quit his evil act.
Who knows who will follow him next to jail?

KINGSLEY
(Shouts)
Enough!!!
I won’t allow you nag around my house.
That’s the door if you are uncomfortable with my friendship with Speed.

BETTY
(Sobs)
I came all the way to see you and this is how you treat me…

Kingsley picks his phone and scrolls through it; ignoring every word that flies out of Betty lips. Betty walks out of Kinsley’s apartment and decided to give Gideon a call.

SCENE 6
EXT. SOMEWHERE AROUND THE POOL – NOON

Gideon looks for somewhere quiet and reserved so he can talk to Betty easily.

GIDEON
(Into phone)
Baby, how are you?

INTERCUT WITH BETTY’S LOCATION

BETTY
(Into phone)
(Sobs)
I’m okay.

GIDEON (v.o)
(Over phone, filtered)
No you are not okay, what is the matter this time?

(SOUNDTRACK FADES IN: RUSH INTO MY ARMS)

BETTY
(Into phone)
No… everything is not okay.

GIDEON (v.o)
(Over phone, filtered)
Where are you…? Lemme come pick you up.

BETTY
(Into phone)
Don’t worry, I’d just…

INTERCUTS WITH GIDEON’S LOCATION

KINGSLEY
(Over phone, filtered)
(Faintly)
Betty… come over here!!!

BETTY
Kingsley yes…

Betty gets carried away when Kingsley called her back; she forgets Gideon is on the phone as she loose guarded herself into confirming his suspicion that she visited Kingsley.

(BETTY DROPS THE CALL)

GIDEON (v.o)
(Angry)
I can’t believe she went back to him.
And she even cut the call on me.
Let me try the number again.

NETWORK OPERATOR
(Female’s voice)
The number you have called is switched off… please try again later.

STEPH
(Cuts in)
How long will it take you to answer a call?

Gideon startles throws his phone into the mid-air and catches it back swiftly to avoid crashing on the floor.

GIDEON
(Scoffs)
Sorry, I had to pull the sickness well which activated her praying mood.

STEPH
I’m hungry please lets go and eat.
I barely used the pool…

GIDEON
(Cut in)
Forget about swimming.
Let’s go home and eat instead cos I need to rush somewhere right now.

STEPH
But I thought you took a day off for me?

GIDEON
Yeah I did, just that I need to get something done quickly.

STEPH
(Frowns)
Okay, it’s alright.


SCENE 6
INT. JAMAL’S APARTMENT – EVENING

Steph gives Jamal a visit.

STEPH
…at that point when my phone rang my heart was just beating so fast.
I didn’t even know what to tell Lucas.

JAMAL
You’d have said something like “let me call you back later”

STEPH
No Gideon would know I am hiding something. He has been suspecting me and Lucas anyway.
There was a night he called me and I mistakenly told him I’m at Lucas apartment working on an assignment.

JAMAL
(Shocked)
What were you thinking?

STEPH
(Softly)
I don’t know. Shit something must be wrong with me.

JAMAL
Of course there is something wrong with you.
Oliver twist.
Just like that D’banj’s song.
You’re an Oliver Oliver Oliver twist.

As Jamal plays with Steph, there was a knock on the door; lo and behold, it’s Alice. Alice pays Jamal a surprise visit. It’s been days now and Jamal hasn’t called or send a text message.

STEPH
Are you expecting anyone?

JAMAL
Nope.
Let me check who it is.
(Walks to the door)
What the f…
What’re you doing here?

ALICE
I came to check up on you.
Long-time no see, chat or text.
I came to do it the old school way.

JAMAL
Yeah… you’re really keeping it old school.
Come inside.
Steph, look at who we got here.
Ta-da Alice!!!

STEPH
Wow is she the one Jamal?
She’s beautiful.
(Turns to Alice)
Jamal has been disturbing about you all this while.
Alice this, Alice that. Phew!!!
I’ve been wanting to see this almighty Alice.
Here you are.
I’m…

ALICE
(Cuts in)
Steph.

STEPH
How did you know my name?

ALICE
Jamal just called your name few seconds ago.

STEPH
(Surprised)
Oh yeah… thats smart of you.
Jamal, what are you offering our guest?

JAMAL
Gist and dancing of course.

STEPH
Yay!!!
 Let the party start.
Wowwwww!!!

Steph didn’t excuse Jamal and Alice to have a cool conversation, she stays with them all through even when they decide to excuse themselves, and she pleads for their presence, she can’t stay alone. This provokes Jamal and he leaves the apartment for Alice and Steph to get to know each other and probably give Steph the opportunity to woo Alice into his arms. He leaves to get Alice a refreshing drink from a nearby store.

STEPH
(Faintly)
I guess I have seen you around.

ALICE
(Faintly)
I do not doubt that,
 I do walk with one classy chick that boys are dying for.
Nneka is her name.

STEPH
Where is she now? She’s not with you.

ALICE
She went to her boyfriend’s house.
Abeg die the matter (please forget the matter.)

STEPH
So how long have you known Jamal?

ALICE
Well… just a short while though.
Enough about me, I didn’t come here to get interviewed.
How about you?
Are you Jamal’s girlfriend?

STEPH
(Disgusted)
Hell no
We are just friends.

ALICE
What kind of friend?
Friends with benefits?

STEPH
Yeah right… you can say that again.
But lemme tell you something you need to know about Jamal…

ALICE
I’m listening.

SCENE 7
INT. KINGSLEY’S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Kingsley happens to be dating Nneka for a short while without Betty’s knowledge. Kingsley sniffed coke earlier before Nneka his new catch visited him in his lovely one bedroom apartment where he has defiled so many girls including Betty and her numerous girlfriends whom his swag never stops amusing.
Nneka sees Betty’s picture hanging on the wall, this activates the mine field of anger she constructed over Betty all this while. Kingsley could barely pay attention to what she says; she attacks him with her machine-gun-mouth.

NNEKA
Why are you such a psychotic idiot?
You mean you love Betty more than me?

KINGSLEY
Nneka shut the fuck up!!!

NNEKA
What?
It’s unbelievable how you think you can use women just like that.
I’m not a sort of toy you just fuck and leave like that.
Why is my picture not on the wall?
Why is this bitch’s pic still hanging on there?
Am I not giving you enough sex or what?
Or she has more ass than I do?
C’mon Kingsley, answer me…

Kingsley, already pissed with her nagging walks to his fridge, picks up a bottle of MacDowell and takes a quaff ruthlessly. The whisky muffles Nneka’s voice in his ears. He walks away from her; she follows him as though he magnets the opposite charges in her.
She hits him on his head to grab his attention, unknowing to her that she just triggered his action mood.
Kingsley twists her hand like a wet cloth that needs to be wrung. He sweeps her legs off the ground, uses one his left hand to hold her neck and the other to punch her brutally on the face.

KINGSLEY
I-AM-NOT-YOUR-TOY!!!
FUCK-YOU!!!
I-KILL-YOU!!!

Before he finishes his statement and expression of anger, Nneka pass out and lay lifeless in his apartment.
He picks up his phone and makes a call.

KINGSLEY
(Into phone)
Speed!!!
I did it mehn

SPEED (v.o)
(Over phone, filtered)
Did what?

KINGSLEY
I killed her, I didn’t mean to.

SPEED (v.o)
(Over phone, filtered)
Killed who, what do you mean.

KINGSLEY
This coke you gave me is so good, I got carried away and she made me angry so I just passed it on her.
I need you to come help me out.

SPEED (v.o)
(Over phone, filtered)
Help you with what?

KINGSLEY
Dump the body I mean mehn.
You have a junk yard; c’mon you can squeeze some help for a bro.

SPEED (v.o)
(Over phone, filtered)
Shit mehn!!!
Okay… amma be there soon.

(CALL ENDS)

Sooner than Kingsley could imagine, Speed arrives at his apartment with a truck so they can easily package Nneka’s body and dump it.
Kingsley gets into the ride acting confused while Speed rides as though he is a garbage man on duty.
They reach the junk yard, Speed orders Kingsley to get the body out. He does it sluggishly and Speed assists to hasten up.
They dump the body at the back seat of a wrecked car and drive off swiftly.
Nneka’s body lies there lifeless with bloodstain on her cloth and the right hand she used in holding her head while Kingsley pummels life out of her. Her bloody right hand moves slowly as she sleeps off.

 Buy the book when its published, so many trut, lies, action, explosions are yet to be unveiled.  
As for the soundtrack lol that was me just testing the mic, I'm more of a writer than a singer so don't laugh at the voice much.



Comments