Skip to main content

POVERTY MENTALITY


   Merry Christmas everyone!!! I believe this year was indeed a great year indeed. Lots of things happened worldwide especially in Nigeria where it was a different ball game. Some homes that used basmati rice in celebrating Christmas previous years used the regular rice for this year’s celebration while others experience an elevated celebration. Basmati rice or regular rice, what’s the difference? What’s so special? Why can’t an average earner afford Basmati on a regular day? Must we show off to intimidate others because we have a lot or are others just feeling intimidated due to not having enough?

    The tradition of making Christmas extraordinary in Nigeria is ritualistic. It’s a time we experience homes that don’t eat fried rice out of 360 days in a year, eat fried rice on Christmas day. I have taken out time to observe some disturbing belief saturating the minds of families in the country however leading to corrupt practices, illegal deals and indecent lifestyle.

         Poverty mentality is an attitude. It's a way of thinking that is said to perpetuate poverty because the focus is on what one doesn't have rather than what one does have. Thoughts and comments such as "I can't afford this..." and "I'll never have enough money for that..." may turn out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's not clear where this concept came from, but one of the earliest motivational speakers to discuss it was Zig Ziglar.

   Zig Ziglar noted that focusing on the concern about what is missing in one's life rather than focusing on what is there can lead to further poverty. Ziglar and others believe the ones who break out of poverty and really succeed are those who use what they do have, are grateful for what they do have and most of all aren't jealous of what others have. Basically, it's an attitude of self-belief and empowerment rather than one of self-pity and jealousy that is thought to combat the destructive poverty mentality. (Source: Wise Geek.com) It’s not just that…poverty mentality can also been seen flourishing among rich people. 
   Over the years Nigeria a third world country with no equality has been grouped into the “Have” and the “Have not” the formal status quo is something the latter is doing everything to possess. Meanwhile if the economy could be at least reasonable everyone would be able to be in the “Have” bracket thereby fulfilling my theory “no one is ugly, resources to sprout the beauty installed eludes them”. If things were actually as it was designed by God to be, there won’t be lack unlike the way our reality surface showcasing someone who goes for a buffet and he/she uploads it on instagram to show their circle of friends that “oh I have better than you” or posing in flashy cars and showing off properties to taunt others instead of just been themselves. This explains why the government is doing everything possible not to bridge the gap between the rich and poor. The moment they do so, underdevelopment has been conquered and they won’t be the spot light. They limit our entitlement so when given little, we can die for it, and this explains why most poor people are used as puppet for illegal deals.  
   It’s very clear that Nigeria is a rich nation housing lots of poor people; poverty has sunk in deep without mercy bringing about looting government fund without remorse. We see people steal and others celebrate, yearning to be like them. Yahoo boys are increasing everyday all because they see celebrities flashing cars, hot sluts shuttling countries unknown to them that some of these stuff are not theirs, majority stuff you see on set are borrowed or rented lol [watch out for my article Delusional Fiction].
   I also get to see those in the “have-not” class striving and doing everything to show the world that they have. C’mon can’t we just cut our coat according to our size and just be comfortable wherever we find ourselves. Although I am not saying we shouldn’t aspire and work to be better, but it all start from you appreciating who you are, your current state of affairs. It is from there you can relish life to the optimal (using what you have to get what you want). By the way I get to see some families who have a lot come up with meager ideologies and planning.
   Getting rich is not the perfect way to evade poverty mentality.
   Check my article Pride: Quit Forming. I made mention of some helpful tips on how you can destroy intimidation.
   Longer-throat aka Greed, impatience, and laziness is what we need to fight. Kids these days are the ones who use phones bigger than parents who earn way more. Reason is because everyone wants to be noticed, seen, spoken about and followed on social media. This is a huge “Poverty Mentality” we need to fight. This psychopathic leech is boring holes into virgin minds and winning the tug of sanity propelling some people into lifetime debts.
   Let me speak for myself a little bit. Like this Christmas, I spent it indoors with family all through, due to my knowledge of my financial capacity, I stick my butt to what I can afford, instead of going out unnecessarily I just conserve my energy to get a video game disc, movies that will keep me indoors. Even though I go out, I come home to have something to keep me warm and entertained [it’s not all about temperaments, I am sanguine and phlegmatic]. I figure out many people hobbies are spending and wasting rather than keeping and saving. If your outing isn’t adding any plus to your finances then it has to be questioned. If you are the type that believes everyone ought to be extravagant like you, someday when reality strikes, you figure out getting out of your parents’ house is the dawn of an economical life, creating a home for a wife/husband and kids to find comfort is beyond extravagancy…no one will tell you to quit poverty mentality.
   I’m living my future today, meaning I’m planning ahead of time.
   An advice to boys, yes we want to impress our ladies and preserve our relationship but don’t put grave expenditure on yourself by spending more than your earnings as a single guy on your woman. Bro invest and insist she assist you on your investment. If she truly loves you, she will stay, if not you just wasting cash cos the highest bidder will sweep her off your arms.
   The best way to spend on lady is not expecting anything in return…that way either she stay or leaves, you have nothing to lose.
   The origin of Christmas cloths emerges from a poverty stricken era where people wait for one day before they do an abstract fashion parade to show who is better than others. Phew what a sham limited to only our society, although little of it can be witnessed abroad but not to the extreme. I tell myself every day is Christmas...Eat, drink, dress and love everyday like its Christmas.
   Before we enter this New Year, I just think it’s high time we sit for a moment and ask ourselves “how humongous is my poverty mentality”? Let’s quit boasting and bragging, rather we should make people feel safe and comfortable.
   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!! Love you guys loads. Stay tune for another upcoming series “MONEY”
EPISODE 1: CONTENTMENT
EPISODE 2: THE WEALTH IN YOUR SKILLS/TALENT
EPISODE 3: THE CHASE FOR RICHES

   I believe it will aid someone in this beautiful New year. Love you, love you and love you loads.

 CLICK ME
Follow us on 
Twitter: @Majorpane1
Facebook: Newton Paul's Blog
Instagram: @Major4pane

Got a suggestion for us E-mail: majorpanedmajorfactor@gmail.comJoin our BBM CHANNEL TO STAY CONNECTED ALWAYS 

Comments

  1. Very interesting topic. I'd like to enhance some impressions if I may. About display of gadgets, wears and properties generally, I need you to understand that in life, there are some basic essence of living, prominent among them being expression of one's self. We can do this in different ways but the end point would be to make ourselves feel good. For instance, thesame way i would want to have so many viewers on my blog so my articles can circulate is equally thesame way an instagram user would wish to have so many followers so he can get a thousand likes each time he posts a picture of his designer footwear. I dont see anything wrong in that because I understand show-off is a part of their lifestyle. Probably they cant spend all their money buying all their designer stuffs all to have them to just themselves without no one appreciating it for them lol. You should accommodate them the way they are because the highest point of civilization is upholding the 'live and let live' adage.

    Also about Christmas being extra ordinary, of course Christmas is extra ordinary and should be celebrated as such, according to one's capacity though. Not necessarily making other people feel less, but how can you even know you are doing that? There are different seasons, season to sow, season to reap, season for hardwork and season for enjoyment like this one *big grin.

    About the origin of Christmas clothes, it was the easiest way parents sorted to by their children Christmas gifts, then other parents copied not knowing what it originally meant and then it became a tradition, especially in Nigeria if I may say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravoooo Mr Jerry. Lol okay I pardon them.... You got me on that one especially how we bloggers need viewers.
      Hehehe...so tell me did you buy Christmas cloth this year or did you buy for any?
      I wasn't able to buy but I got a Christmas game CD lol

      Delete
  2. Mehn...to be honest with you, this christmas was just there, before i knew it it was already gone lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment can save a life...don't be selfish with it *winks*