Skip to main content

How to Cure Addiction: The Addiction Room



Addiction!!! On seeing this, I know your mind quickly flipped over drugs, smoking, gambling, and what not. Surprisingly, most of us are addicts.
Either you're addicted to Jesus, your phone, shopping, television, the internet, video games, fast-food, coffee...whatever you give you joy and you can't do without, you are an addicted to it. 


The question is, is your addiction an addition or a subtraction?
Recently, a delicious friend of mine Fedy Rain Daniels added me to her Facebook group  “The Addiction Room”. Yesterday, 26th of June, we hosted a live section with Emmanuel Ifeanyichukwu Uke a Health and Wellness Coach, Counselor, Blogger, Speech Writer, Freelance Writer, Editor, and Mentor.

After his introduction on the subject “Addiction”, he made mention of the indicators you can use to know you are addicted to something;

I) Experience an intense preoccupation or craving to engage in the behaviour
II) Experience restlessness, irritability, hostility or other discomforting symptoms if you are unable to engage in the presenting behaviour 
III) Increase the intensity or frequency of the behaviour to achieve the same desired effect. For instance, instead of once daily, you are doing multiple times a day.
IV)  Increase the frequency or duration in which you engage in the behaviour despite your intentions.
V) Continue to engage in the behaviour despite negative consequences it bears on you
VI) Have one or more failed efforts to stop, reduce or control the behaviour.
VII) Devote the majority of your time is spent while engaging in the behaviour, making preparations to do so or recovering from its effects.
VIII) Neglect your important obligations such as work, school or family so that you can engage in the behaviour more often.
IX) Isolate yourself in order to engage in the behaviour without friends or family being aware of your behaviour.




Here is an exact copy and paste text of what went down during the section.

Fedy Rain Danielsis it possible to bring out the positive sides of addiction??? Like I said I was addicted to my phone but now I learnt how to use it better...

Emmanuel Ifeanyichukwu UkeI would not call it an addiction; I rather call it a “Passion”.

Emmanuel Ifeanyichukwu Ukethe question is, can you tell yourself that at 9 pm, you will shut down your Facebook and go do something else? If you can great, if you can’t, it is an issue

Emmanuel Ifeanyichukwu Ukeit is not the behaviour that is the issue; it is the reason behind the behaviour, the compulsiveness, the obsession and the ability to control the behaviour and not the behaviour controlling the individual that really matters.

I remembered sometime back in 2014 when I was into video games. It’s now I realise it was an addiction but it wasn’t much of a bad thing cos it was an addition;

Newton Paul: Frankly speaking I was a game addict. The only reason why I don’t get to play games like before is that I gave it out to someone.
But I used my addiction for good though. It really fueled and motivated me into creative thinking and writing.

In line with my game addiction, will you say there is a positive side or advantage of addiction or are all addictions negative?

Emmanuel Ifeanyichukwu Uke: Newton Paul, actually people do these things for recreation and relaxation. It is not necessarily a bad thing. It becomes problematic when these things take over. For instance, if you know you are running late to work, yet you are not able to put the remote down and head out to work...It’s a problem...if you can’t wait to get off work so that you can rush home to play...It’s a high-risk sign. If you shun your friends invite to go hang out just because you want to go home and play...it is a sign that you might need help. So it all depends on how you are able to control the urge and craving.

Newton Paul: That's a hot fact you just said mehn.
There was a time in 2014 gaming buried me though.
It took me a lot of determination to get back on my feet and deal with it.
Had to set priorities right and I thought of the aftermath each time it was this close to taking me away.
Thanks for the heads up again and again.

Emmanuel Ifeanyichukwu Uke: Newton Paul that's the point. Only the individual can change whatever he or she is struggling with. If he or she is not intrinsically motivated to change, it will be an effort in futility to help the individual.




Don’t forget to signup for Freebees, Newsletters, Offers and lots more.  Click to Signup

Fedy Rain Daniels: I was so much addicted to my phone. Always chatting and doing unnecessary kinds of stuff online...sometimes the people I wanna chat with will tell me they are busy, I'll become so angry; I felt I was neglected... But then I learnt I need to get busy like them and use my phone, data and time for better things Newton Paul

Newton Paul:  Fedy I get to be in that scenario also. it’s crazy mehn
Just like what you said, me I had to channel all my energy towards my blog and other profitable deeds.
Cos at the end the busier I get, the more I pay less attention to how they ignore me.

Emmanuel Ifeanyichukwu Uke: Even working could become very problematic when its priority over every other aspect of your life. The key thing is having a balanced life. As long as you can quit whenever you want…it’s not so much of a big deal.

Wrap up 

Emmanuel Ifeanyichukwu Uke: Like I said, 
I) The first thing to do is recognising and admitting that one cannot control your addiction or compulsion. 
II) You have to recognise a higher power that can give you strength; be it God or whatever or whomever you hold dear. 
III) You have to also evaluate your past mistakes and find someone (a mentor) who can hold you accountable for your actions. For instance, when you have the urge to engage in your compulsion, you can call your mentor to talk you out of it. I currently sponsor 177 individuals. It is very daunting but it is worth the while. Once you come to terms with your compulsion, you can make amends for your past deeds. 
IV) Never dwell on your past mistakes, learn to live a new life with a new code of behaviour. That is start with a clean slate.
V) Finally, try to help others who struggle with the same addictions or compulsions, it will help you to continue growing in recovery.


Join  “The Addiction Room” today let's help ourselves, inspire each other and say no to addiction.
Don’t forget to signup for Freebees, Newsletters, Offers and lots more.  Click to Signup


Advert



Learn how to Transform the 50,000 - 70,000 thoughts/ideas you have a day into Product and Services on the 15th July 2015, at 805 restaurant Wuse II, Abuja. Time 10am

Register for event here: 
https://goo.gl/Bt6mJM



Follow us on 
Twitter: @Majorpane1
Facebook: Newton Paul's Blog
Instagram: @Major4pane
Got a suggestion for us?


Mail: majorpanedmajorfactor@gmail.com

Comments

  1. I have learn several just right stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how much attempt you place to make the sort of fantastic informative web site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment can save a life...don't be selfish with it *winks*