Skip to main content

THE VANTAGE OF NEXUS (EPISODE THREE) By Newton Paul

*This story was edited by John Ovuson


EPISODE THREE: ERA OF LOVE

SCENE1
INT. LECTURE HALL - DAY
FADE IN

ALICE (v.o)
“Valentine”
(Scoffs)
Give me a break, the name alone makes me feel like puking.
What’s the difference between Valentine day and any other day?
Everyone pretends to love on Valentine’s Day; while other days they just act cold. I pity the countless number of girls that fall prey into guys’ arms every 14th February…

NNEKA
(Cuts in)
Alice!!!
Where is your mind?
The lecturer just started and you’ve travelled into space.
Tell me, did you see any alien?


ALICE
Yeah I did... he said he wants to be your Val

NNEKA
(Laughs)
You’re really funny; I’d take the alien to be hmmm…

ALICE
The lecturer

Nneka bursts in enormous laughter, dragging everyone’s attention towards her.

NNEKA
Ooops!!!

SCENE 2
EXT. GARDEN - NOON

Few hours after the lecture, Alice and Nneka walk towards a garden known as “love garden” usually packed with pairs of opposite sex.

ALICE
Just take a look at them, all they know is pretence and deceit. I doubt if their smile will last for long if not turn into tears.

NNEKA
C’mon Alice you don’t have to be this antagonistic. Just because you don’t believe in love doesn’t mean others shouldn’t.
Take a look, every woman needs a man around her. A hero, a pillar to support the tower of her emotions…

Alice looks around examining the people in the garden. She sees a girl laughing so hard with her hand wrapped tight around the guy she sits with, Alice looks at another who is putting on a frown as she sits alone. Suddenly a guy walks up to her, she ejects from her sit by jumping on him.

GIRL#1
(Inaudible)
You made it, thank God

Alice’s drone eye balls scans round the garden; she begins to feel warm within her as though her heart was formerly frozen by ice.
A guy walks towards Alice and Nneka, Alice casts her gaze on the grass underneath her foot, unknown to her that anyone was coming. She sees all-star sneakers before her staring back. She admires the shoe and tries tracing it to the face of the owner; she sees a skinny, dark, handsome guy. Her pupils dilate as she looks at him; his head shade the sunrays from entering into her eyes giving him a halo effect.

NNEKA
Now speaking of every woman needs a hero, this is my hero.
Jamal meet Alice my course mate and seat mate.
(Laughs)

JAMAL
Nice meeting you
(Stretch his right hand towards Alice)

Alice just kept staring, wondering if she’s dreaming. This is the first time she’s feeling this way. She has never seen any guy this flawless in her very eyes.

ALICE (v.o)
Alice c’mon... say something!!!
What should I say?
I have to keep up my bossy attitude; Nneka can’t know I’m admiring her boyfriend. 

NNEKA
Well I think the hand shake is not necessary, she keeps blanking out with thoughts.

JAMAL
Well maybe that explains why she’s this beautiful. Her boyfriend must be really lucky to have a calm girlfriend.

NNEKA
Speaking of beautiful, how beautiful is our valentine going to be?

JAMAL
Nneka, valentine is just 3 days away. Don’t worry you won’t be let down... okay?

NNEKA
Okay honey. So where are you up to?

JAMAL
Hmmm… I’m on my way to class, I saw you ladies over here so I decided to come by and say hi.

NNEKA
That’s so sweet of you.

JAMAL
Alright stay cool sweethearts, see you later in the day.

Nneka watches Jamal walk away, admiring every part of his body as well as Alice but they both remain quiet.

NNEKA (v.o)
Mehn this guy has got a really nice ass. Check out his shoulders... damn!!!
I’m happy Alice saw me with him, as from now her respect for me will increase. Now she knows I don’t roll with normal dudes.

FADE OUT

SCENE 3
INT. LUCAS APARTMENT - EVENING

LUCAS
(Shouts)
What wrong with you?
I’ve told you countless times that I got nothing to do with her!

STEPH
Oh really, then why is she writing she loves you on your Facebook wall?

LUCAS
You know how crazy she acts, it’s not my fault.

STEPH
Then why didn’t you delete it from your wall.

LUCAS
I haven’t been on Facebook for days now.

STEPH
Liar and you have a blackberry phone you’ve been using to chat with me, Facebook is at your finger tip and yet you are still lying.
(Pause)
Oh you are quiet, you are out of lies right?

LUCAS
(Shocked)
What!!!
Hello no, you are not doing this.

STEPH
Watch me do it then.

Steph picks up her bag to leave, as she opens the door she sees Jamal at the entrance.

STEPH
(Pissed)
How long have you been standing here?

JAMAL
All this while
(Calmly)
Steph, you don’t have to treat Lucas this way.

STEPH
(Rudely)
Eh!!! Don’t say a word.

JAMAL
Well it’s your call. Have a nice day.
(Turns to Lucas)
My man wetin just happen so? (My man what is going on?)

LUCAS
Steph saw a post on my Facebook that says “I Love you”.

JAMAL
Ehen... go on…

LUCAS
That’s all, nothing more.

JAMAL
For real?
Is that why she is making all this noise, haven’t we seen several similar posts on her wall?

LUCAS
I’m just confused.

JAMAL
Nah... I’m the confused one here.

LUCAS
What do you mean?

JAMAL
I saw Nneka today with a very hot innocent chick I haven’t seen in my entire life.
Nneka blew my bubbles by introducing me as her boyfriend when you and I know there is nothing happening between Nneka and I.
I was dumbfounded; I couldn’t turn her down in the presence of this chick.

LUCAS
What’s the chick’s name?

JAMAL
Hmmm... I can’t really remember
But you need to see how she stared at me damn!!!
I felt the world was staring at me. I hope to see her soon and I’d give you real time update on this one.

LUCAS
Cool, that’s my man.

JAMAL
I brought a movie; c’mon lets watch our frustration away bro.

SCENE 4
INT. JAMAL’S APARTMENT - CONTINUOUS

JAMAL
It’s just a day to Valentine and I haven’t set my eyes on this chick.
Where will she be?

(KNOCK ON THE DOOR)

Jamal walks to the door and opens it, he sees its Steph.

STEPH
Hello handsome.

JAMAL
How are you?
Come in.

STEPH
What are you up to?

JAMAL
Well nothing... anyway I was just thinking...

STEPH
Thinking of?

JAMAL
Well, there is this chick I met couple of days ago with Nneka.
She’s everything I really want Steph, but Nneka blew everything by acting as though I am her boyfriend.

STEPH
That’s more points for you now. She must already be attracted to you hearing that Nneka is your girlfriend

JAMAL
That way, it’s going to be easy asking her out?

STEPH
Yeah, now you’re talking.
So where does this place me?

JAMAL
C’mon it doesn’t change anything.

STEPH
It’s not true.
Very soon you won’t be having my time as much as you used to.

JAMAL
Steph, how many times do you want me to tell you how much I love you and I won’t for any reason let you go?
By the way, how is your boyfriend?

STEPH
He is fine.
Just that Lucas and I are having a small ish.

JAMAL
Tell me na... what’s the matter?

STEPH
I really love my boyfriend and I don’t want to hurt him, but Lucas is just too much. You know he is always around, we play together and all that.

JAMAL
So you telling me you’ve gotten attached to Lucas?

STEPH
Yeah... something like that.

JAMAL
I can’t believe it; I was persuading you back then, when Lucas was making so many advances to you. Weren’t you the one that told me you can’t even date him for any reason?
You’ve really hurt my boy in many ways. Check out the last time I saw you at his place, you were so jealous over the post on his wall meanwhile you have so many skeletons in your cupboard.

STEPH
(Laughs)
Ehh... its okay na.
But you know what I mean.

JAMAL
I know what you mean, but if you wanna be playing your games without disturbance, then allow Lucas be. Let him be free.
If you ask me, you guys are not dating, just running things.

STEPH
It’s very hard you know.

JAMAL
Get over it jare, we no dey act film oh (Get over it, we are not acting a movie)
By the way why are you carrying this big bag?

STEPH
I’m spending the night here.

JAMAL
Eh? You for tell me na, what if I get matter to run? (You’d have told me, what if I have a girl coming over)

STEPH
Then I get to watch you guys act your movie na, by the way I’d like to see how you do that thing.
(Winks)

JAMAL
(Laughs)
Chicken gerrout!!!

SCENE 5
INT. ALICE’S APARTMENT – CONTINUOUS

Alice sits on her bed with her bikini. She swipes through her phone to view some old pictures. Her mind is lost in the wilderness of thoughts; she picks up a novel to read but couldn’t read between lines without pausing or looking away to catch a single sense.

ALICE (v.o)
I keep hallucinating, seeing his faces everywhere I set my gaze on. I keep calling everyone his name. Am I so obsessed with someone that I don’t even know?
I need to take this off my head, but I can’t.
He’s so cute; I can remember the way he stared at me that day, I felt my dragon slayer has finally found me. I need to make a move.
Maybe I can use this valentine season for the first time to end these nightmares.
Okay; I know I have said bad things about other people but I feel it’s because of reasons like this they give into what I consider stupid.
Believe me it’s fun; my heart has never beaten in ways it is beating right now.
(Pause)
Gosh!!!
Tomorrow is valentine... what will I do?

FADE OUT

SCENE 6
EXT. LOVE GARDEN – NOON

Alice sits on a bench in the love garden, looking at love birds playing their love songs with rhythmic laugh and smiles.

ALICE (v.o)
If only I’d see him in this same place, I pray Nneka doesn’t come see me here…

NNEKA
Hello dearie!!!
What are you doing here alone? And you’re always thinking. What’s wrong this time?

ALICE
I’m okay... just watching these people act movie for my entertainment.

(NNEKA’S PHONE RINGS)

NNEKA
Oh yeah... I’ve been waiting for this call, its Jamal
(Pause)
Baby where are you?
(Pause)
For real, you want me to come meet you at KFC? Wow this Val is awesome.

(NNEKA ENDS CALL)

NNEKA CONT’D
(Turns to Alice)
That’s my honey comb, he wants to give me a sweet Val special at KFC; then from there to his house and then…
(Whispers)
You know how it goes.

Alice almost bursting into tears, knowing fully well that Jamal is not into her the way she imagined especially now he is meeting Nneka. She tries swallowing the ocean of tears she got in her eyes while Nneka walks away without taking note of the tap on Alice face.
Few minutes after, Nneka leaves and Alice observes that someone was behind her.
She turns slowly to see who it was; in the process the person moved her face away gently.

JAMAL
A tear speaks louder than anything. If only I can catch them, I’d be the slayer of your weakness.

Alice turns her head swiftly and sees its Jamal. Speechless; she gets trying to catch a word but couldn’t grab any. Jamal looks at her and for once in his manly life, looks like a baby.

ALICE
I thought you called Nneka to meet you at KFC?

JAMAL
I took her over so I can be with you. I was staring at you guys from afar when I decided the move.
Look Alice, I know you don’t really know me nor do I expect you to give in to what I have to say now but I really want you to know that I’m really into you.
Today is Valentine, yeah... and so many niggers are down to deceive girls all to make them their toy for today, but mine is a whole lot different; I want to see you the tomorrow, be with you the day after tomorrow, take you out next month and probably go for swimming next year.

ALICE (v.o)
(Laughs)
But this guy hardly knows me.

JAMAL
Yeah... we don’t really know ourselves but every friendship needs a base and I’m telling you my intentions so you won’t be seeing me as a brother or just a friend.

ALICE (v.o)
Wow! This is too good to be true.
Can’t I tell him how I feel too?
No, I need to stand on my ground and preserve my respect as a girl and at the same time, not make him feel bad after all, I want him too.
Damn... being a girl is not easy, not letting people down and same way still keeping their hopes high.
(Turns to Jamal)
Can I take you somewhere?

JAMAL
Hope the police won’t come looking for my body?

ALICE
Probably, but I bet you gonna look good in the front page of the newspaper.

JAMAL
(Laughs)
My instinct was indeed right.

FADE OUT

SCENE 7
INT. ALICE’S APARTMENT –EVENING

Alice and Jamal sits on the bed laughing and talking as they go through Alice’s picture albums

JAMAL
Is this really you?

ALICE
Yeah!!!
What’s wrong?

JAMAL
No... Nothing... I thought it was actually someone else.

ALICE
The picture is not fine right?

JAMAL
No not that, it’s adorable, I mean it’s out of this world.

ALICE
(Smirks)
Keep flattering me.

JAMAL
You seem to be a fan of pictures.

ALICE
Yeah, they really keep me busy. I don’t have many friends so I use pictures to while away time and also have something that stimulates thoughts.

JAMAL
On the thought aspect, you think a lot right?

ALICE
Yeah, very well; in fact I live in the world of thought.

JAMAL
Why?

ALICE
Hmm... I just found out as I grew, that things weren’t how they were painted to be when I little. So I try to think out how it ought to be.

JAMAL
I didn’t even get to ask you if you have a boyfriend.
Wow!!! It’s true, why are you all alone this valentine?

ALICE
Do you consider yourself as nobody?
I’m with you for Christ’s sake, so why should I think of being with…

JAMAL
I’m listening ride on.

ALICE (v.o)
Oh shit, I can’t believe I almost exposed myself.
C’mon Alice, take control of the situation!

JAMAL (v.o)
Was she about to tell me why should she think of been with another man now she has me around?
Oh my God, I guess this dream is becoming real.

ALICE
I don’t have a boyfriend; don’t really believe in all those stuff.

JAMAL
Believe me, it’s because you haven’t seen the best.

ALICE
So they say, every one blows his trumpet.
Tell me, who is Nneka to you?

JAMAL
Well Nneka is a friend who I know likes me very well but I don’t seem to like her as much as she likes me.

ALICE
Why? Isn’t it every guy’s dream to have a girl all over him, especially someone that’s crazy about them?

JAMAL
You can say that, but I can assure you we guys, we prefer chasing rather than been chased.
Just take a look at how we are now.
I don’t know what going through your mind; I may be trying hard to impress you or even end up not doing well enough to convince you into going out with me.
Either way, it gives every guy a good feeling which at the end of the day, if she accepts your proposal, you feel like a dragon slayer.

ALICE
(Smiles)
Interesting speech
Meaning you guys like when we say no or prove hard to get?

JAMAL
I must confess to you, there are some hard to get seasons that makes me quit
There is difference between hard to get and never to get.

They both burst into laughter, holding their hands tight with their heads closing up to another as the laugh progress.
Jamal stares deep into her eyes.

JAMAL
You are so beautiful.

ALICE
You are so handsome.

JAMAL
The first day I saw you, I couldn’t take my eyes off for any reason.

ALICE
Really?
I won’t say same here anyway, but I loved what I saw before me.

Alice tries kissing Jamal but he refuses

JAMAL
I have to go.

ALICE
Did I offend you or do anything?

JAMAL
No not at all, I just think I have over stayed my visit.

ALICE
For real, you are the first guy I’m seeing a girl offering a kiss to and he refuses.

JAMAL
Don’t get me wrong, maybe when next we see I’d explain it to you.

Jamal leaves Alice’s apartment putting her in a state of total confusion.


SCENE 8
INT. LUCAS – NIGHT
Lucas and Steph are half naked in the bed sweating and panting real hard like they just ran a marathon.

STEPH
(Softly)
Lucas today is really special to me.

LUCAS
Same here babe.

STEPH
So tell me, when last did you hear from your girlfriend?

LUCAS
Today, I took her out then we went to her place.

STEPH
She must have had lots of fun.

LUCAS
Yeah you’re right, we played and we did the thing, you know na.

STEPH
I can imagine, no wonder you were weak today unlike other days

Steph’s face grows sour without Lucas casting his vision on her as she buries her head on his chest.

LUCAS
(Laughs)
So tell me, what about you and your boyfriend?

STEPH
He’s good; we are going through rough patches right now.
He is a church worker and he doesn’t have my time so I’m just giving him small space.

LUCAS
(Exhales)
Oh Okay, guess I need to sleep now.

STEPH
C’mon na... let’s go for another round.

LUCAS
Babe I’m tired.

STEPH
(Mean)
Don’t come begging oh... cos I won’t give you when you ask for it.

SCENE 9
INT. SPORT ARENA– MORNING

The next day after valentine, Lucas and Jamal were at the sport arena playing basketball. During their game break, Jamal decides to tell Lucas what happened between him and Alice

LUCAS
What?
What were you thinking of?

JAMAL
For real I don’t know.
It was too good to be true. I’m scared of rushing things mehn.
Just like my previous relationships that I rushed and ended up nowhere.

LUCAS
But bro, you have to be quick about it before another guy takes what belongs to you.

JAMAL
Yeah I know; don’t worry I won’t screw things up.
So gist me, what about you and Steph?

LUCAS
Steph and I, we cool, had a special valentine sex last night.

JAMAL
For real? Damn!!!
I can imagine.

LUCAS
Oh yeah, you know how much I have invested in Steph na.

JAMAL
Yeah, you’re so right.

LUCAS
But sometimes I feel kinda guilty, knowing my girlfriend is really sweet and all that; and here is Steph and I, running our show.

JAMAL
I can imagine. Don’t screw things up oh; you deserve every bit of Steph’s warm thighs
(Laughs)

LUCAS
Yeah, you are so right. Now you talking like them Spartacus.
Let’s get back to the game, amma break your leg this time.

JAMAL
You wish.

WIPE OUT

SCENE 10
EXT. STREET – NOON

Alice just closed from church. On her way home, she bumps into Nneka who is wearing a short skirt standing beside an anonymous ugly looking guy.

NNEKA
Hey Alice!!! How are you? Happy Sunday.

ALICE
Happy Sunday
What’s up?

NNEKA
Just chilling with my friend

GUY#1
Hey you’re looking good.

ALICE (v.o)
Has this guy taken a look at himself before saying those words?
Nneka sef no get taste, look at the guy she’s with on a Sunday for that matter.
(Turns to the guy)
Thanks

NNEKA
So where are up to?

ALICE
Going home

NNEKA
(Quietly)
You won’t believe Jamal has been acting all strange lately; I went to KFC and I didn’t see him there, I waited and waited.
(Whispers)
Until this my lovely, caring gentleman friend approached me.

ALICE
Eh ya... sorry

NNEKA
It’s okay... no problem, how was your valentine na?

ALICE
It was okay

NNEKA
Are you sure? This girl I no trust you again oh (I don’t trust you anymore)

ALICE (v.o)
What does this girl want to hear now?
(Turns to Nneka)
I’m serious; it was okay... nothing special.

NNEKA
Okay oh, no problem.
There is this cute guy I have for you anyway, his name is Chinoso. Believe me, you’d like him, the guy has money like mad.

ALICE
Till then Nneka, but for now I won go house now now, I dey very hungry (I’m going home right now, I’m very hungry)
We’d see later na.
(Turns to the guy)
Nice meeting you

As Alice walks away, the guy keeps staring at her; forgetting Nneka was there with him.

NNEKA
How far you na, you never see woman before? (What’s wrong with you, have you not seen a woman before?)

GUY #1
Nneka, arrange this your friend for me na?

NNEKA
Say me I don turn your pimp bah? (Because I’m now your pimp right?)
Abeg I won drink ice-cream, enter your car make we dey go Drumsticks (I want to drink ice-cream, get into your car lets go to Drumsticks)

The guy gets speechless and does as she asked as though she has a charm over him.

FADE OUT

Comments