Skip to main content

THE VANTAGE OF NEXUS (EPISODE TWO) By Newton Paul

ADVERT
* You wanna know how to make a girl you have been chasing notice you or you don't know how to get a chick? Join me in my Series "How to Get a Girl and Keep her". You'd see laid down step by step ways that can be practicalised with ease without changing your personality into something absurd like other articles might have done.

* The Vantage of Nexus Episode Three: Era of Love, will be posted shortly.


*This story was edited by John Ovuson



N/B: I have deleted the story tab to post afresh stories at the home page so everyone can easily follow up.




Voice Over (v.o):What the character is saying at that moment. It cannot be heard by other characters. It’s a soliloquising process.
 CONT’D: Continuation of the voice over or speech.
INT: Interior (Sitting room, bedroom, car etc.)
EXT:  Exterior (Streets, outside the house etc.) 
SLOW MOTION: the pace of an action.
BASS DROP: a deep bass sound used usually during slow-motion specifically to add details into what is made slow.


EPISODE TWO: MONEY (ROOT OF EVIL)
SCENE1
(KELECHI’S POINT OF VIEW)

INT. HOSPITAL - DAY
FADE IN

KELECHI (v.o)
Money, a liquid the flesh can’t live without. Don’t blame the economist for calling it “liquid” because it’s a fluid that makes things around you look perfect. I wonder why God segments those that deserve it from those that need it. I see people waste money on all manner of meaningless things when lives are to be saved, what a cruel world!
How can I have this money? My mother is seriously sick, every day she approaches her death. I have younger ones I’m looking after. I have dialled every number on my phone for help, sought for loan, and even looked for a new job to add with my current job yet no positive response…


Kelechi sits on a chair, resting on the wall facing his mother lying on the bed.

NURSE#1
(Cuts in)
Excuse me sir!!!
Can you please excuse us?we need to clean her up.

KELECHI
Alright, by the way what about her drugs?

DOCTOR#1
(Clears throat)
Mr Kelechi. I’m afraid the drugs would have to be delayed due to your incompetence in payment of bills.

KELECHI
(Angry)
What do you mean by that? I have given you guys every penny you need to make sure she is taken care of for the next week.

DOCTOR#1
Well, if I’m to educate you further, we ran several tests on her for us to know exactly what we are treating. Her case is extremely rare compared to what we initially thought.
That means we looking at something that is very challenging to our profession and if the money is not paid, I’m afraid we would have no choice than to ask you to take her away.
Probably to another…

KELECHI
(Cuts in)
Don’t mention another hospital. I was referred here when I went to the fifth hospital. They told me you guys are capable of treating her so why the misjudgement?

DOCTOR#1
Well what I’m trying to explain to you is that…

KELECHI
(Cuts in)
…That without money you can’t treat my mother?

DOCTOR#1
Your mother has brain cancer. The last test we ran which almost cost me my own penny detected that she’s undergoing serious problem with her heart. In other words, money is a motivating factor besides paying for drugs. This is not a charity home Mr. Kelechi.

KELECHI
(Sobs)
So what would you have me do Doctor?

DOCTOR#1
Get the money from anywhere and save your mother.

KELECHI (v.o)
 Those words send chilled ice through the arc of my spine. At that point I remembered there are lots of things I haven’t tried, lots of things I haven’t done to get my mother saved. I’m a creative director in a small marketing firm, I used to be professional driver back in the days, and there is hardly any car in this world I can’t drive. It seems I have to fall back on who I used to be. I’m going to get this money anyway I can and save my mum!

Kelechi leaves the ward sniffing, trying to hold back heavy rain of tears he gathered on his eye bags. He reaches for the hospital exit, pushing everyone on his path like his lungs lacks oxygen looking at his solution ahead.

FADE OUT

SCENE 2
INT. STREET – NIGHT

A convoy of four cars pass through an empty street littered with papers, the pilot convoy stops when it sees a barricade.

SECURITY#1
Shit this road is blocked! We should have taken the other.

SECURITY#2
Turn around then.

From a bird view, the rare convoy puts on his reverse lights, the light shines on another car that drives in speed plunging into the rare convoy with a deep bass. This alerts the security guards.

SECURITY#1
(Shouts)
Ambush!!!

Gun fire showers on the convoy from the windows of the buildings across the street.

MAN#1
Stop shooting!

The dense fire-shower stops. Everywhere becomes quiet, nothing moves. The man takes a step towards the smoke-drenched convey. He gives his comrades a signal to come out in the open. They pack themselves out watching their success. The leader walks up to one of his men.

MAN#1
This is the best deal I’ve pulled in my entire life. Now all the money you need is yours. Take your mask off let me see the face of my promise.

He takes off his masks. The man eyes zooms on the face, he sees its Kelechi. He gives order for the wrecked convoy to be searched. He searches through and sees Kelechi’s face as the dead men. Worried he gets, he looks at the side mirror and watches his face turn into kelechi’s face. Angry he gets, wondering what is going on, he looks at his men and figures out they all have same face, Kelechi’s face.

SCENE 3
INT. KELECHI’S BEDROOM – DAY

Kelechi jerks while on bed as he wakes, sweat soaks the neck region of his shirt.

KELECHI
It’s just a dream, it’s just a dream.
(v.o)
At this point I knew something had to be done.
But how?
I don’t have to rob to help my mother.
Are you listening to yourself, this is someone that gave birth to you.

DOCTOR#1
(Echoes)
Get the money from anywhere and save your mother.

 (CELL PHONE RINGS AND VIBRATES)

The phone call shocks him to reality.

KELECHI
(Into phone)
Hello!!!

VOICE
(Over phone, filtered)
Are you Kelechi Ndukwe?

KELECHI
(Into phone)
Yes I am, please who is speaking?

VOICE
(Over phone, filtered)
Never mind, I just want to inform you that your sister has been sent home due to failure of completing their school fees.

KELECHI
(Over the phone)
But I paid half and promise to complete it…

(CALL TERMINATES)

KELECHI
Hello!!! Shit, what kind of temptation is this?
(v.o)
I need to do something real quick before I end up regretting why I am alive.
But where will I start from?
Ok I think I got a plan.

SCENE 4
EXT. STREET – NIGHT

Kelechi navigates himself towards the darkest part of town, a place people fear most because it’s jam-packed with pickpockets, thieves and murderers. This is the first time of visiting this part of town. He only hears about it on“Breaking News”.
He cites a worn-out board titled “The Venom Bar” across the street, resting on top of a rusted metal door patched with wood which happens to be the entrance. The inscriptions had lights on them but the bulb that shines on letter “The” and “Bar” were spoilt leaving only “Venom” shining out. As the name implies, snake fangs rings in the ears of Kelechi’s mind “hiss”

SCENE 5
INT. BAR – CONTINUOUS

 He walks into the bar, tightens his teeth in order to look hardened, sees it’s full with beer frogs, most of them can hardly see while the ones that have vision size him with their dim eyes from head to toes as the Nigeria hip-hop blasts uncontrollably at the background.
He grabs an empty chair and sits down, beckons on the waiter who happens to be a small boy.

WAITER
Yes oga... Wetin I fit get for you? (Sir what can I get for you?)

KELECHI
Una get Smirnoff ice? (Do you guys have Smirnoff Ice?)

WAITER
No oh... e don finish (it’s finished)

KELECHI
Which other drink una get? (Which other drink do you guys have?)

WAITER
Abeg, I no get time for all this plenty questions!(Please I don’t have time for all these questions!)
Na Gulder, Star, Hero and Legend dey.

KELECHI
Okay oya bring Star for me.(Okay bring Star for me)
(v.o)
God, I haven’t tasted Star before; I don’t do beer but I guess it’s the perfect way to blend into this kind of environment.

Just beside Kelechi sits three young men in their late 20s.
 James is quite built but displays a cool temper the other (Alade) is very slim as though he cannot lift himself but can lift chains of cigar while the third person,(Victor)looks very notorious. One can tell he is an aggressive person from his disposition.

JAMES
Ehh, that deal wey we pull over make sense; I dey happy say we pull the deal but e get another one wey dey now as we dey yan…(that deal we pulled was awesome, I am glad we pulled the deal but there is another one that is up as we speak…)

Kelechi eavesdrop on the conversation and remembers his dream, he clears his throat and looks at them in a suspicious way. Victor the aggressive looking guy looks at Kelechi in an intimidating way but he didn’t show any sign of fright.

VICTOR
(Cuts in)
Are you sure you want to talk about this here?

ALADE
There is no need to run out of our nest to talk about what we talk about every now and then.
C’mon look around you, there is no police that can survive here.

VICTOR
Meaning?

JAMES
Meaning I can say what I want to say right here and no shit can happen.
Are you scared?

VICTOR
(Mean)
I just feel uncomfortable with this guy sitting close to us.

JAMES
C’mon that’s no problem.
As I was saying, we got a client, he is fresh and dope. He wants to connect us to our next target but he needs conviction. My brothers, believe me I don’t think you guys will regret this; it’s an easy way in and easy way out.

VICTOR
That was what you said in the previous one which we ended up getting shot at. I can’t stand all these missions without a gun. No gun no deal.
I got a fiancée I want to get married to and I can’t afford to die while trying to gather money for our wedding.

ALADE
I take side with Victor this time.
Fresh deal, fresh plan and fresh weapons.

JAMES
I’d discuss it with the client, but he needs this cash badly and he is giving us 50% of what we get. The only problem I have is how to convince him we are capable for the job by planning a neat strike.

KELECHI
(Cuts in)
Sorry to disturb, can you please help me with a lighter?

VICTOR
(Angry)
Wetindey worry you? (What’s wrong with you?)
If you won smoke, you no know where you go go? (If you want to smoke don’t you know where to go?)

JAMES
(Looks at Victor)
Easy Victor
(Looks at KELECHI)
Are you a police?
What do you really want?

KELECHI
I can tell you the best way to pull the deal if you give me a chance.

ALADE
(Puff out smoke on KELECHI’s face)
What makes you think we will give you a chance?

KELECHI
Because for you to make the big bucks you need a big plan. And mind you, your client may not give the exact percentage as promised unless you count it yourself before delivering the cash that way you stand better chance to gain more.
You’d need to carry out your own investigations too in case there is a setup coming along the line…

VICTOR
(Cut in, shout)
Who are you to come from nowhere and tell us how to do our own deal?

JAMES
You don’t look like someone from around here?
You sound full of intelligence but I’m sorry my friend we cannot help you.

ALADE
You heard him right.

Kelechi tries persuading them but Victor stops him by pushing him to the dirty floor with a clean left hook blow. Kelechi embraces the floor, crashing the joyous moment every drunk is having. Everywhere grows quiet for a while then the noise arouses even louder.

SCENE 6
EXT. STREET – CONTINUOUS

Kelechi helps himself out knowing he is no match for the fight. Walks to the first spot he saw the bar and cast his eyes on the entrance constructing a plan in his mind.
He sees James, Alade and Victor step outside. As they come out, they scan the streets with their x-ray vision simultaneously to ensure no one is following or watching them. As the scan approaches Kelechi, he steps backward to blend with the darkness behind him, evading Victor’s scan.

VICTOR
(Smirk)
Damn!!!

JAMES
What’s wrong, did you see anything?

VICTOR
No I just remembered I told my fiancée I’d be taking her to the movies. Now it’s so late I don’t think we can make it.

ALADE
(Laugh)
You can bring her to my house and watch me treat her well while you eat popcorn.

VICTOR
You are a big fool you know right?

JAMES
(Laugh)
Victor, Alade is really in love with you tonight, I think we need to draw the curtains here.
Goodnight fellas, sleep tight and think of this new job.
We need that cash.

They tell themselves goodnight, do the regular handshake and turn to leave. Kelechi watches them holding popcorn in his mind, paying so much interest on every detail as though he is an investigator. While Victor and Alade walk their way, James walks the opposite direction. Kelechi smile as he sees James walking alone having recalling James to be the only reasonable person among the clique who can grant him an audience.

SCENE 7
EXT. JAMES PORCH – CONTINUOUS

Just like the movies, Kelechi follows James behind without any slight suspicion. The slightly built family man approach his door, tries to knock but pause his clinched fist on the air while Kelechi watch by peeking from the edge of the wall.

JAMES (v.o)
Damn, what am I doing? Is this what I am turning out to be?
A robber, this is how killers start, I don’t want to kill anyone for money. I got two kids and a wife that gives me hell, this is not the life I signed up to live, if I had known, I won’t have married Chiamaka. Her love for money is just too much.

KELECHI (v.o)
What is wrong with this guy, he pauses as he wants to knock on his own door. I think this is the best time to approach him. Well I have nowhere to turn to outside the human that lies ahead.

Kelechi approach James.

JAMES
(Shout)
Wow wowwow who are you?

KELECHI
Hey I didn’t mean to startle you, I want a minute please.

(DOOR OPENS)

CHIAMAKA
(Mean)
James why are you disturbing the neighbourhood this night?

JAMES
(Shout)
Is that how to tell your husband welcome, this woman you are…

KELECHI
(Cuts in)
Sorry to disturb you and your neighbourhood madam.
 I’m a friend of your husband; I just told him good news that’s why he’s so happy.

CHIAMAKA
Honey is that true? Ah so I’d finally get that lovely dress Mama Obiagali wore for that wedding.

JAMES (v.o)
God forbid this kind of wife, everything she cares about is herself and her looks. This guy just saved me from a heavy quarrel tonight, let me give him a listening ear.
(Turns to Kelechi)
So my man, let’s talk a little before I go inside.

James takes Kelechi to a quiet place where they stand as though they want to perform drug transaction.

JAMES
What can I do for you?
You seem really desperate over something?

KELECHI
You seem to be forcing yourself into something that’s not who you are.

JAMES
What makes you say that?

KELECHI
I’m not here to play mind tricks or a game, what I’m saying in general is I think we are on same side.
You are a family man who I see needs money badly, same here I need money as we speak. Right now my mother is going through serious operations and I need money to keep her alive; same with my younger brother and sister who are at home instead of thinking of school tomorrow.
We need to save these people because we are the ones that ought to butter their bread.

JAMES
What happens when the butter jar gets finished or refuses to refill?

KELECHI
They get another butter jar. Most times they do it the hard way which may terminate the previous butter jar, which are you and me.
We are their only hope; I can’t live to watch them suffer.

JAMES
Hmm!!!
What kind of work do you do?

KELECHI
I’m a creative director in a marketing firm but the pay is really low. I used to be a very good driver back then.
Take a look at this car
(Points at a wrecked car)
This is a 1998 Mazda Millena, it has 170-210 horse power, its sharp to handle at any speed and little maintenance needs to be done. I remember using it to catch up with a brand new Toyota although I tuned the engine anyway.
(Sighs)
Ok I don’t mean to bore you. You said something about your client needing conviction, there is hardly any client my company assign me to talk to who didn’t fall for my proposal.

JAMES
From the way you speak, you show much promise but I’m sorry I alone can’t decide to let you in.
I’d have to discuss it with my guys, these days no one needs to be trusted despite where they are from.

Kelechi deeps his hand into his pocket and brings out an old complimentary card and passes it to James

KELECHI
The numbers still work although this is my old complimentary card; call me if you need me.
Thanks for the time.

JAMES
You are welcome; I have to get back to my family now.

SCENE 8
INT. HOSTPITAL - DAY

Kelechi visits his mother at the hospital the next day; she’s unconscious at the moment due to the poor treatment rendered to her but she is placed on gas mask for the time being to keep her alive. Kelechi sits besides her, sniffing the dam he has flowing down his nostrils.

KELECHI
(Faintly)
I promise you mother I will do everything I can to see you walk again. I don’t care where or how. All I want is for you to be happy and enjoy your stay here on earth.
I want to tell you something…
(Whispers)
I don’t know if what I’m doing is right but I’m thinking…

(KELECHI CELL PHONE RINGS)

KELECHI
(Into phone)
Hello!!!
(Pause)
Where?
(Pause)
Ok, I’d be there.

Kelechi ends the call, stares into thin air for a moment, looks at his mother and looks at his phone trying to decide the path to take.

KELECHI CONT’D
I have to go now, you’d be out of here soon... I promise you mother.

Full with so much conviction to save his mother, he turns to leave. His mother raises her hands softly to call him back but he didn’t hear nor see to pause and ponder.

CONTINUATION
SCENE9
INT. GARAGE - DAY

VICTOR
(Turns to James)
What makes you feel this guy will deliver?

JAMES
Because I see part of him in me

ALADE
Now you sounding unreasonable, how you go just see one stranger and you go talk say you dey see part of am for your body? (How will you see a stranger and say you can see part of him in you?)

JAMES
(Angry)
Hey look, I’m the one in charge here. I was doing perfectly well when I saw you guys suffering in the streets. If you not ok with it, then you got the door but I am fully convinced we need a good plan to strike this deal real hard.
Unless one of you got a plan or can speak very well to convince our client but since I got…
(Turns to Victor)
One man that feels too big about himself, thinking he knows all when he knows nothing? Anger is his best friend.
(Turns to Alade)
Or the other that smokes 5-10 packs of cigarettes a day, hardly do I see him and he is not smoking.
I say we get this dude in this team and see what good can come out of him by the way I have a test for him.

James speech turns everywhere ice cold

VICTOR
(Sighs)
So what’s next?

JAMES
(Smiles)
He’s here.

VICTOR
(Surprised)
What?

KELECHI
You don’t have to hate me without knowing what I can do for you. I am here to help and I also need this money as much as you all do.
My mother is sick, she approach death as time pass by while my younger ones can’t afford schooling anymore.

ALADE
You talk like it’s only you that got the heat of the world burning your ass.
We all have a story here boy.
(Sighs)
I was working before now, had a great house even a private car but what happened?
One day I came home and saw I had nothing, everything was demolished by the so called government. The company I worked for said they can’t afford giving me another apartment so I had to sell my car. 
(Pauses)
With all things not going well, I started smoking for me to feel better but every day I feel useless.
You see these guys?
(Point at James and Victor)
They are the only people I have and I won’t lose them for anything. We don’t steal like other so called “thieves”, who steal to meet up only their needs but the good part is… we steal from people that deserve their stuff stolen – Politicians, spoilt CEOs, wicked landlords even from fellow thieves.
I see it as a way of returning the money to the right hand; rather than living it in a hand that’s already full to hold more.

KELECHI
Hmm!!!
Shit mehn, can’t believe my ears.
It’s a tough world you know; we all have a driving force and right now I want to see an end to my family misery.

VICTOR
Are we just going to keep listening to every one’s super story or are we going to get down to business?

JAMES
Ok, KELECHI you are welcome on board. But I want you to keep every emotion outside that door when we start this deal. No phones, no I.D. cards when we on field... you get me?

KELECHI
Yes I do.
So where do I start from?

(ALL LAUGH)

VICTOR
You start by cleaning this garage.

JAMES
Don’t listen to him; here you make the call and convince him that we can do the job.

James passes his phone to KELECHI

KELECHI (v.o)
(Inhales and Exhales)
Oh my God it’s already ringing, phew I can do this. Just go with the flow like old times.
Remember you are the boss because you got something he needs.


CLIENT
(Over phone, filtered)
Hello?

KELECHI
(Into phone)
Good day, you ready or not?

CLIENT
Ready for what?

KELECHI
(Into phone)
How can you forget a matter of high value?
If you not ready I’d drop the call.

CLIENT
(Over phone, filtered)
Sorry who’s this speaking?

(KELECHI CUTS THE CALL)

VICTOR
What is wrong with you, why did you do that?

KELECHI
Just hold on, he’d call back.
I just reversed the table; we are the boss now because he needs us.

(JAMES CELL PHONE RINGS)

KELECHI
(Into phone)
Are you ready?

CLIENT
(Over phone, filtered)
Yes sorry I was with some customers when you called.
Are your guys ready?

KELECHI
(Into phone)
As we speak they are ready.

CLIENT
(Over phone, filtered)
Beautiful... from the way you talk I feel you can deliver a good job.
Few days from now, the target will be here at the bank to cash the sum of $1million. He should be coming with an escort compromising five to eight policemen.
They will be heading to the construction site immediately so you have little window to lay assault.

KELECHI
(Into phone)
That is not a problem. The site is preferable, that way less investigations on your side and easy access to get the package.

CLIENT
(Over phone, filtered)
I don’t want anyone dead; I don’t know how you intend to pull the deal.
Talk with your guys and figure out how to get me that $1million and I’d make sure $500,000 is yours.

KELECHI
(Into phone)
Any other surprise we should be expecting?

CLIENT
(Over phone, filtered)
Well I seem to be the only one that knows of such first class information because I am the manager of this bank.

KELECHI
(Into phone)
Alright, will be waiting for the day to get the package. Meanwhile me and my men will be getting our gears set.

CLIENT
(Over phone, filtered)
Deal, remember no killing please.

(KELECHI CUT THE CALL)

KELECHI
We got ourselves the deal. Few days from now, target is going to cash $1million with an escort. They are going to the construction site from there where we going to strike and retrieve package.
Any questions?

ALADE
Yea, who made you the leader?

JAMES
You heard Kelechi does anyone have a reasonable question?
We got ourselves clean 4 Ak47, 10magazines, flash grenade, tear gas, gas mask and bullet proof to get the job done.
Victor, I don’t want your anger controlling you in this job. We retrieve package at gun point. Don’t think those policemen will want a blood bath.
Kelechi can you shoot a gun?

KELECHI
No... Just in video games only.

JAMES
Okay follow me, you have to undergo some lessons.
Victor and Alade, you two... fix our gears and oh... Kelechi, you take the wheels lets go somewhere.

KELECHI
Sweet!!! Where?

FADE OUT

SCENE 10
INT. CAR – DAY
FADE IN

JAMES
I remember someone saying something about knowing so much about cars.
Before you get into the crew officially, there is this group that’s been giving us though time.
They rule down town, eat whoever comes in their way. Ruthlessness is gotten from these people.
They also got a massive mechanic shop where they pimp and tune up cars.

Kelechi swings his neck swiftly to James as he pushes the break hard with his right foot.

KELECHI
Did I hear you say tune cars?

JAMES
Of course, they got a team who can take down F1 racers.
Now for you to show yourself approved, you have to take down one of their racers.
This won’t only fetch you money, but fame and your admission into my crew.

KELECHI
When do we start?

JAMES
You have to be easy on this one; this race is called “DL” Double Loss.

KELECHI
What does that mean?

JAMES
If you lose a race, you lose your ride.

KELECHI (v.o)
Mehn that’s harsh. There is no going back.
I need this badly, amma kill them all.

CUT TO

SCENE 11
EXT. YARD – CONTINUOUS

Kelechi walks behind James as he leads him to Melvin, the guy in charge of the yard.

MELVIN
Yo James what do you got for me this time huh?
Don’t tell me you aint tired of losing.
How many of your cars have I won?

JAMES
Melvin someday I’d win everything you’ve stolen from me.

MELVIN
Stolen?
I guess someone needs to watch his speech around me if he knows who he is talking to.
(Turns to Kelechi)
By the way who is this rat with you?

SPEED
Let’s say another price.

JAMES
My guy wants in.

MELVIN
Of course we’ll give him ‘in’ cos I really need to buy new rims for my Infinity Jeep.

JAMES
Don’t put all your luck in one basket this time Melvin

KELECHI
You heard him, amma crush it all.

SPEED
(Angry)
Watch your tongue if you know say you won carry your life commot (Watch your tongue if you want to leave here alive)

Speed, a short muscular guy; fair in complexion and in his late 20s. He has tattoos one can mistake for a children’s chalkboard. He is known for one thing, WIN-WIN-WIN. He points a pistol at Kelechi’s head.

MELVIN
Easy Speed, you’d show him how to talk on the track.
Let’s go!!!

Melvin leads them to the track; James and Kelechi walk side by side admiring the parking lot saturated with all sorts of cars. Kelechi looks at the other end of the yard and sees cars stacked on top themselves like a junkyard.
Kelechi jumps into the car, Speed does same into his tuned up2013 Mercedes.

MELVIN
What do we have here… old school versus new school?
It’d so unfair competing with this kind of car, it’s an insult.
James, you should be ashamed of yourself not to afford a damn nice car.
Hey!!!
(Signals his boys)
Bring it over here.

His boys bring in same model with Speed’s ride.

KELECHI (v.o)
I wonder where all this guys make their money from and as well get all this cars.
Damn this car is sweet!!!
Check out the body, well carved, it can cut through the air.
Nice suspension and oh it’s tuned also.
Now let’s see what Mr Speed got.

Kelechi gets into the Mercedes, fixes his seat belts, turns on the engine and holds the steering tight.

SPEED
(Turns to Kelechi as he fires the engine)
Your head is mine!!!

MELVIN
Get ready!!!

KELECHI (v.o)
By the way where are we driving to?
Where is the finish line?
No map?

MELVIN
Go!!!

Speed zooms off, pouring dust with his rare tornado tires. Kelechi follows him behind without hesitating.
WIPE OUT

SCENE 12
EXT. EXPRESS- CONTINUOUS
DISSOLVE IN

Speed presses the acceleration pedal without mercy, drives round the yard and bursts into the express, causing major diversions from cars on the lane he entered.
Kelechi follows Speed’s tire tracks as markers ahead of him. He plunges into the express too, throttles his pace as he moves like lighten.
Speed sees Kelechi coming in full force from his rare view mirror; he blocks Kelechi from over taking from the right, and then the left. They both move like they’re magnetic.

(KELECHI CELL PHONE RINGS)

MELVIN
(Over phone, filtered)
First person to make it to the stadium wins

Kelechi sees a truck caring wrecked cars, he slows down to pounder what he can make do with it, he looks ahead and sees there is a massive hold up ahead. Thinking fast, he rolls the glass down still driving, reaches for the truck’s control to activate the run way as though he wants to climb into the truck. The driver observes what is going on from his side mirrors and starts swerving left and right making it difficult for Kelechi to achieve his mission. Kelechi swings the steering in ways to evade the butt of the truck hitting him; finally he activates the run way which scrapes the ground as the truck driver keeps driving, still swerving left and right.
Speed reaches the heavy hold up and get stuck with no way to turn nor move forward, Kelechi slows down so he can target the run way.

KELECHI (v.o)
What the heck am I thinking of?
Don’t tell me I’m going to do this.
There is no time… one shot and one bullet only.
We only live once!

He presses the acceleration pedal with all the fibre his leg muscles possesses, having the rhythm in which the driver uses in swerving the truck that causes the run way to swerve too. Any mistake could cause a serious damage.
His tires dances left and right until it meets the run way; the truck driver halts as he approaches the hold up, giving Kelechi a surprise boost as his car launches into the air with a Bass Drop.

(BASS DROP)

Evading the cars at the upper deck of the truck, he is in the air in slow-motion like a video game.

KELECHI
(Slowly)
Oh-my-God!!!

His front bumper targets the other lane which happens to be a one way moving the opposite direction.

SPEED
This guy is crazy.

Kelechi moves in between cars smoothly as they horn and pass by with a sharp dash sound.
A police checkpoint lies ahead on the opposite lane Kelechi drives on, he sights them and tries looking for an alternative route to get back into the other lane but he sees none, meanwhile the road is a dead end full with cars on check point.
He sights a pedestrian way on the left just beside the checkpoint, he dive bombs into it, ejecting everyone off the way. All he sees are living things running and jumping their way to safety.

POLICE#1
Officer track that car down.

OFFICER#1
Yes sir.

The officer enters into his Hilux van and zooms off chasing Kelechi

(DISTANT SIREN)

Kelechi looks at his rare view mirror and sees a police van blasting his siren and flashing his head lights on him. He speeds his way through the street until he gets to the stadium. On getting there, the place was empty. He comes down from the car while the Police truck approaches him then suddenly divert to another road.

SCENE 13
EXT. STADIUM - CONTINUOUS

MELVIN
We control the town you know, you don’t have to be scared about anything.

Melvin and James walk up to meet Kelechi who is confused from where they came out from.

JAMES
Very well done Kelechi, I can’t believe you took speed down.

MELVIN
James I’m beginning to like your boy you know.
Now he has beaten speed, can I have him as a replacement?

JAMES
Hmmm!!!
No Thanks.
(Turns to Kelechi)
I keep my word, let’s get you nice meal and celebrate over this victory.

FADE OUT










Comments