Skip to main content

7 Ways to Live Peacefully With Your Host


Ever been in that state where someone spent the night or a week in your place and you feel their stay should come to an end almost immediately? Oh, yea I have been in that situation myself. 

As I grew up hosting all manner of people, I figured out there are some basic principles that can be practised anywhere in the world for your host to live peacefully with you.

Honestly speaking, I really don’t like a sleep over unless I really like you and I observe you are neat and won’t give me issues.

Let’s have a look at some tips and tricks we can adapt to live peacefully with our host before we watch gruesome murder news.

I) Abide by the rules of your host:
Everyone has a rule governing the affairs of their house. There are homes where shoes aren’t accepted inside while others you can wear muddy shoes and no one will pay attention to the dirt.

You need to observe, learn and adapt immediately.

Some houses, you don’t stay awake when it’s past 10 pm, I advise you charge your phone and load it with music and movies if you are the vampire type who love keeping late (like me hehe)

Some houses, visitors eat after the family has eaten (smh) though that’s not a good one, keep calm and obey the rules.

Yes, your home might have conflicting rules but it’s advisable to act like a Roman when in Rome.

Check out: How to Host a Guest

II) Do domestic chores:
You aren’t at home to act lazy. They might tell you “oh no don’t worry, I will do the dishes, you are a guest blah blah blah if you let that get into your head, it means you will go shipwreck when they start frowning over your lazy ass.

Bend down and assist, you might not be the one doing the slicing or the dicing or the cooking and cleaning but be there to give an extra hand and make handy suggestions.

In my own case since I am pretty experience in home chores and domestic work, I give in my all as though it’s my house.

III) Live averagely:
There was this guy that camped in my place many years back, during breakfast I sorta got embarrassed when I watch him take milk to cream his tea. He does it like he just got out from prison and has never seen milk all his life. And he goes like “I love thick tea” like seriously… 


My response should have been “Thick tea cost a lot”

When someone is hosting you, please tie your belly and eat whatever is available. Be on the average, don’t expect too much.

Meanwhile, on the average side, use things like water and electricity sensibly unless you plan to split the utility bill into two.

IV) Be organised/neat:
This is where some people make their host want to send them parking out in the middle of the night. Ensure you have your towels, toothbrush, nightwear and other basic items.

Don’t go using the toilet and not ensuring it is properly clean. If it’s a house where they sweep and mop the bathroom floor after bathing, try and follow the norms by doing so. (Check tip “I”)

Don’t litter the house with your clothes, socks, belt, or personal properties like underwear (c’mon!!!)

Check out: How to Host a Guest

V) Be considerate/contribute:
There was this guy who was staying with a friend but hides his money and never contributes anything when it comes to buying one or two things in the house…but ones these things are bought, he ensures he takes the larger share. It wasn’t up to one week; he saw his load thrown into the gutter on his arrival. (Serves him right)

Many people are like that; their selfishness blinds them from thinking straight. You have to consider your host and it shouldn’t be taken for granted.

Partake in buying fuel, food items, utility bills, toll gate fees or helping with transport fares if possible. It goes a long way in increasing your reputation.

VI) Be polite:
Speak with respect even though your host is your junior. Say “Please” when needed, say “Thank you” after eating meals, this will make the person know you appreciate his/her care.

Remember how you treat them will determine if they will want you staying one more night.

VII) Have a quiet place:
Bro/sis chill, it’s not your house mehn, you have to respect your host privacy. 


Let them be, let them miss your presence. Choose a comfortable spot that makes you invincible like you aren’t around. It could the corridor, the backyard, the front yard, the room allocated to you, just don’t litter yourself under your host lashes, make them miss you.

When other visitors arrive and you are with your host, excuse your host unless he denies you exist.

Check out: How to Host a Guest

Wrap up
I’ve seen good friends turn to good enemies due to a breach of hosting rules.

No matter how much you pull this tips and tricks i.e (I) Abiding by the rules, (II) Doing domestic chores, (III) Loving averagely, (IV) Being organised, (V) Be considerate/contribute, (VI) Being polite, (VI) Having a quiet place…a bad host remains a bad host and will be picky on your good moves.

If you ask me without raising dust, pick your bags to leave and say a big “Thank You for hosting me”.

My advice, try as much as possible not to go to people’s houses unless you are invited or an emergency takes you there.

Don’t forget to signup for Freebees, Newsletters, Offers and lots more.  Click to Subscribe











Follow us on 
Twitter: @Majorpane1
Facebook: Newton Paul's Blog
Instagram: @Major4pane
Got a suggestion for us?
E-mail: majorpanedmajorfactor@gmail.com

Comments