Skip to main content

TOCHI PRECIOUS FRIDAY: THE MULTI-LINGUIST




About a year ago, there was an outcry from the Federal Government over the need to make French the nation’s second official language by making it compulsory for Primary to Tertiary level.

Currently speaking, Nigeria is losing its original heritage as cultural imperialism rubs off on it through global village adaptation but there are few people who see this as the perfect opportunity to bridge the gap by equipping Nigerians with both local and foreign languages through an entrepreneurial framework.

Tochi Precious Friday is a young lady from Isiala Ngwa North L.G.A, Abia State, Nigeria who studied German and French as Foreign Languages in the University of Nigeria Nsukka. Stunningly, she wrote her project in German language (like seriously). She did her compulsory National Youth Service Corps at Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria Headquarters Abuja.

Tochi possesses excellent interpersonal skills, attentive listening, oral and written communication skills alongside entrepreneurial skills she tailored from Enspire Incubator entrepreneurship training course where her language school Smarter Languages Academy is currently located.

Subsequently, her ability to speak and learn Foreign Languages has increased making her a multi-linguist and Bi-lingual educationist. Newton Paul’s Blog had an explicit interview with her.

What do you see as your place of purpose in life? How did you come to that conclusion?
I believe my purpose in life is to help Nigerian children have better life opportunities through promoting bilingual education. I concluded this because anything I try to do concerning this campaign works.



How many languages do you speak and write in? Would love to see you in action?
Currently, I speak and write four (4) Languages namely German, Igbo, English, French.

Newton Paul's blog ist Wunderbar -German- (Newton Paul's blog is awesome)

뉴튼 블로그는 최고입니다 -Korean- nyuteun pol beullogeuneun choegoibnida (Newton Paul's Blog is awesome)

What’s the benefit of having a bilingual personality?
There are so many other benefits. 
I) Being Bilingual helps you take advantage of globalisation.

II) The ability to communicate in more than one Language could help you acquire gainful employment.

III) Exposing yourself to another Language can change the way you look at the world and create comprehensive avenues that would otherwise be unavailable.

IV) Bilinguals have sharper cognitive skills and keep their brains alert and active even when only one Language is used.  

V) And the last just to mention few, Bilingual kids develop significantly higher self-esteem.


What language do you dream in?
(Laughs) I dream in English and German *winks*

Do you feel like a different person when speaking different languages?
Yes, I do. I feel like I'm so extraordinaire.

Which other languages do you plan learning in the future?
I'm currently learning Korean and intend learning Russia or Japanese in the future.

Who are the three people you admire most and why?
I admire Timothy Doner that guy speaks 20 Languages.


I also admire Ms Blossom Ozurumba and Runcie Chidebe and Arinze Olisa.


Ms Blossom Ozurumba is the Co-founder of Digital Media Development initiative; they use innovative digital media for sustainable development, Runcie Chidebe is the Founder of Project Pink Blue an NGO in charge of Cancer awareness, care and research. They're wonderful people while Arinze Olisa is the founder of Flytmode entertainment and the Co-founder of Smarter Languages Academy.                                                                                                                  

What’s your happiest or proudest moment?
The day I decided to help promote bilingual education in Nigeria.

If you had the power to solve one and only problem in the world, what would it be and why?
I would solve the problem of monolingualism because it limits you a whole lot.

If you were writing the story of your life, how would you divide it into chapters?
Chapter 1: My Childhood in Abia State. 
Chapter 2: Education and Qualifications. 
Chapter 3: Bilingual Journey. 
Chapter 4: Moving with the Bilingual Train. 
Chapter 5: Getting Beyond Fear. 
Chapter 6: New Life. 
Chapter 7: Share it with others.

I won't mind publishing the book lol. Where do you see yourself five years from now?
In 5 years, I see myself as someone who has made an impact through Bilingual Education.

What’s your Creativometer?
I'm inspired by books like “Who Moved my Cheese” by Spencer Johnson, movies like American Gangster, at times Nickelodeon.



What sparked the idea of having a language school? When? How?  
It was actually a TV series “Untold Stories of the ER” that sparked off the idea; I watched a patient almost died because she could not speak English and the Drs couldn't help because they couldn't understand her Language. Finally, it was a cleaner who wasn't even fluent in the Language that helped save her life and considering the fact that I studied Languages, I decided to go into that direction to educate Children especially and also save more lives. Hahahaha!

Wow that’s heart touching. What age grade do you think needs bilingual education more?
Everyone really do need Bilingual Education but I'm more focused on children cos I want to raise a generation bilingually empowered.

How long does it take an average Nigerian to learn a foreign language?
Normally it takes 3 months to go through a particular level but it all depends on the individual. Some are fast learners while some can be slow.



What is the importance of bilingualism in the society?
Just a few, Bilingualism helps a society achieve its sustainable development goals; it also facilitates participation and action in the society.

Would you consider it compulsory in the educational system?
Yes, I will.

How do you think we can rescue the Nigerian Heritage from going extinct?
In my opinion, parents should speak/teach children their mother tongues. It will help them know where they're coming from and where they're going to.

What’s the most difficult part of running a language school? How did you deal with it?
Well, the most difficult part I would say are the myths and misconceptions. É.g parents thinking it's too early for their kids to be Bilingual and that it would delay their performances. I had to sensitise a few and I'm still working on sensitising more.

How do you know your students have learned anything from your lessons?  
When they get to use it amongst themselves.

How do you know if you’ve taught a good lesson?
When my students don't have difficulties articulating.


Can students a learn language without being taught grammar?
No, it's not possible. For you to make sense in any language, you need grammar.

Do different students have different learning styles? If so, does this mean anything?
Yeah! Different students have different learning styles. It means a lot to me.

How does your answer to the previous question impact on the way you teach?
Most times when I teach kids, I don't impose learning on them. I try to figure out how they learn better and I follow up. For example, some prefer jumping while learning. Once in awhile, you jump and teach it makes the whole thing fun.

There are many language schools out there in Abuja, what differentiate yours from others?
Well in my Language school, we offer you a refreshing approach to Languages and a welcoming community. Everyone is welcome irrespective of race, Culture, level, colour etc.



How can young people achieve their dream despite financial limitations?
They should believe and act. I had 0.00 Kobo when I started. I just told people what I do and what I want to do and some supported me. I also talked to a couple of friends who were interested and we work together as a team.

Do you have sponsors and partner?
I don’t have a sponsor yet but I’m in partnership with Enspire Incubator and Ukrainian International Association of University Entrants» “UMOA”. We handle inquiries, application and visa application for Nigerians wishing to study in Ukraine.

What is the name and venue of your language school?
Smarter Languages Academy located at Enspire Incubator, 3rd Floor, NEPZA Headquarters, 2 Zambezi Crescent, Maitama Abuja. Landmark: TETFUND



Wrap Up
At this point, I wish I had taken my French classes seriously back then in School and University, who knows I could be an interpreter or bilingual journalist/novelist. Its not too late though, I will focus on making my children multi-linguist when the time comes hehe. 

I recommend foreign language courses and lessons for those who are interested in becoming bilingual. Parents can go further by enrolling their children into Smarter Language Academy for June section…just know for Tochi to do it, you can do it.


Follow Tochi Precious Friday on; 
Facebook: Tochi Precious Friday

PS: I would love you to introduce yourself in Mexican or any other language Por Favor (Please)

Me Llamo Newton Paul, Mucho gusto

Don’t forget to signup for Freebees, Newsletters, Offers and lots more. Click to Subscribe









Follow us on 
Twitter: @Majorpane1
Facebook: Newton Paul's Blog
Instagram: @Major4pane
Got a suggestion for us?
E-mail: majorpanedmajorfactor@gmail.com

Comments

  1. Your pants, they bother me. Take them off! Hey, i am looking for an online sexual partner ;) Click on my boobs if you are interested (. )( .)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment can save a life...don't be selfish with it *winks*